Sunday, August 5, 2007

2 Year Anniversary!

I should have written this yesterday but I forgot to. Yesterday was our 2 year anniversary from the day we arrived in Chicago!! It took us 3 days to travel the 30 hour drive from Mesa, AZ. I can hardly believe it's been 2 years, time has really gone by fast. We love our little apartment and it's location, we love our Neighborhood Hyde Park, we love the ward we're in, we love living by lake Michigan, we love the greenery and all the trees, we love downtown, we love the food, and we love the people here!

I've been thinking about how much our life has changed since living in Chicago, in big and small ways. I thought I'd make a list of things I experience in Chicago that I didn't Arizona.

1. I use window AC units instead of central air (I'd love to have central air again!)

2. I parallel park on the street everyday, and I've gotten pretty good at it!

3. We don't have a doorbell to our apartment, we have a buzzer and I get to talk to people from our apartment and buzz them up.

4. I walk on really squeaky wood floors in our apartment. I've learned where they squeak the most and try to avoid those spots.

5. I can walk to my dentist or my eye doctor in about 5 minutes.

6. I can walk to work if I want.

7. I can walk to the grocery/produce/drug store as well as several restaurants.

8. I walk to church (our building here is actually closer than buildings I went to in Mesa!)

9. I ride the bus.

10. I own a snow shovel and actually use it.

11. I find myself saying 90 degrees is hot!

12. I own more long sleeve shirts/sweaters/jackets than short sleeve shirts.

13. I wear long sleeve shirts in the summer time on occasion.

14. I use an umbrella.

15. I cook on a gas stove and have to manually light our oven.

16. I've learned what the terms "houseshoes," "housecoat," "washroom," "hafta use it," and "babydaddy" mean.

That's all I can think of for now.

11 comments:

MeL said...

How fun for you that you got to leave the Mesa bubble! I'm more than a little jealous of all of your Chicago things! Have a fantastic day!

Stoddard Studios said...

Hey Melanie! It's Kaylea (Hunt) Patenge. I happened to find your blog and I'm so happy I did! I've always wondered what happened to you. I miss you girl. You're my look-alike girl. Remember how everyone thought we were sisters or twins in High School? I'm glad we can be blogging buddies now. My blog is pete-kaylea.blogspot.com. Come check me out. I added you to my friends list so I can keep up with you. I can't beleive you moved to Chicage! Crazy! I want to move away. It sounds fun. love ya girl!

Stoddard Studios said...

Dang part of my blog address got erased. The right address is pete-n-kaylea.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

how fun! congrats! your chicago life looks so fun! so how much longer until your next move? hey, i found a picture of you and josh ans alayne from my wedding reception. i can emailit to you if you want...

amy mo said...

wow those 2 years really have gone by fast! I remember like it was yesterday going over to your house with mom, kim & cassie & eating chicken & then playing cranium. It makes me sad that I only went over there like, once when you lived at that house when we could've come anytime & now we can only visit like once every 2 years! & it seems not that long ago when you lived at that little apartment & I came over so you could braid my hair for camp, or I spent the night so we could go to six flags! & I remember the day you guys left you came to visit me at Target so we could say goodbye.

But it's also cool that I know what you're talking about for most of those things on your list! Like the squeaky floor, parallel parking, walking to church, thinking it's hot with 90 degree weather, being able to walk everywhere, etc. Oh ya, I didn't comment on the last post but that dog was so super cute! That musta been fun to dog sit. Anyway this is becoming one MONSTER of a comment so I'll end here!

amy mo said...

oh ya, I knew I forgot something. I'm also jealous of your spark of craftiness cuz I need an urge to be crafty.

Anonymous said...

thanks! the cards you made are so cute! i think i try to hard when it comes to 'craftiness'! i can post the picture on my page and you can save it to 'my pictures' on your computer. or if you'd rather give me your email address i can email it to you...whichever.

The Hancocks said...

Melanie! Chicago sounds awesome! Yep, still in good old Mesa. You guys plan to come back? Good to hear from you! You know I sometimes miss those all night math-a-thons . . . -Mckaye

Shelly said...

I've been in Las Vegas for about 15 months now. Its so weird when you think about Mesa and how long you've been gone huh?

Stoddard Studios said...

Time for a new post. I want to read more about Chicago! It's look like so much fun. It makes me want to move away and be adventurous.

Anonymous said...

Hey, How are you? Good I hope. Did you get to see the video Drew did of Vin's blessing day? We'll have to talk on the phone sometime and catch up. Let me know all the fun stuff you've been up to in Chicago. I still want to come visit soooooooooo bad.