I've been thinking about Owen's first birthday cake already (yes, it's still a few months away but that's what happens when it's your firstborn and you have nothing better to do all day). Well, I've been considering a fondant cake because they always look SO nice and pretty! (I know Owen won't really care if it's 'pretty' or even halfway decent looking since he'll just want to smash and smear it anyway...I know the first cake is really just for me and the pictures).
Anway, I've never made fondant, I've never even had it before. So I thought I should probably practice making it before I made it for a special occasion, plus it would give me something to do. My sister Amy has gotten into cake decorating a little and she told me how *easy* marshmallow fondant is, so I found a recipe and went to work.

Let me just say, I hated nearly every part of making this cake!
I hated how sticky and impossible it was to knead.
I hated how it completely stuck to my hands, even though I covered every square inch with butter.
I didn't like how powdered sugar got everywhere as I made it.
I didn't like how hard and dry it was when I tried to knead it the next day.
I didn't like how hard it was to roll out.
I didn't like how it was completely stuck to the surface when I tried to pick it up after rolling it, despite putting tons of powdered sugar down, so I had to RE-roll it out.
I didn't like how it was nearly completely stuck to the surface when I rolled it the second time, despite putting both butter and powdered sugar down first.
I didn't like how my hands turned all blue when I mixed the coloring into the fondant.
I didn't like how bumpy it looked, when fondant is supposed to be smooth.
I didn't like how the fondant would hold any shape so the bow looks ridiculous.
I didn't like how long the whole process took.
I don't know, maybe I did something wrong.
Maybe it was because I used cheap, Ecuador brand marshmallows because that's all they have here.
Maybe it was because I added too much powdered sugar.
Maybe I should have used shortening instead of butter.
Maybe I shouldn't have added a little water to help soften it to knead the next day.
Maybe I should have rolled it on cornstarch instead of powdered sugar.
Maybe it was becuase I don't have a rolling pin here so I had to use a little toy baseball bat (embarrassing to admit, I know).
Maybe it would work better if I made it in the states.
Then, to top it all off, the fondant tasted horrible! And the cake mix I used was an Ecuador brand that was dry and not nearly as good as my favorite Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines.
So, unless I'm convinced otherwise, I think I'm through with fondant!!!
Guess that means Owen will be getting buttercream on his birthday cake.
15 comments:
I dislike the taste of fondant. Everyone told me it would be the best on my wedding cake. I went with whip cream frosting instead of buttercream because I dislike that also. I absolutely loved the whip cream frosting. At least you tried it.
I've heard fondant doesn't taste very good anyway. And personally, I think fondant cakes are TOO perfect. They just don't look edible. Yeah they're pretty, but they don't look tasty.
So I say stick with butter cream!
Fondant is pretty nasty stuff even in the U.S. My sister does wedding cakes and she's done amazing looking things with fondant, but it's HARD and it tastes NASTY so I wonder why people pick it.
I'd rather make a box from a cake and put a little frosting on top. But good for you for trying. I've seen my sister do it enough that I steered clear of it altogether.
I have to agree with all the other comments. Fondant is nasty stuff. I've had a whole assortment of different kinds and haven't like any of them. I am going to do buttercream for Calder's first. It is at least tasty and you can make it look pretty. Not perfect, but pretty.
I'm so impressed you tried. Good for you. That is something I've never had the urge to do. Oh, but if it tasted good I'd be all over it!
I also have been thinking about Calder's first birthday. I think I've been planning it since he was born. If we make friends here in Columbus before October I want to do a circus theme. I saw some really cute ideas a while ago. We'll see how it goes.
It looks pretty darn good to me! Nice try! Making a cake look pretty has to be one of the most frustrating things. I spent lots of time on all my kids birthday cakes. My favorite one, was Abby's first birthday, I just used white can frosting, and dabbed my finger all over the surface to make it looked textured, it was easy and I liked it!
Good thing you tried before the actual birthday! But I think it looks great.
But it looks awesome!!!
Hilarious! Your honesty makes it an easy choice for me to skip fondant altogether-- not that I really ever had the urge to try it out...
But it sure turned out pretty! Way to go!
Hahaha I'm sorry Melanie, but that is too funny. Fondant is so pretty, but I don't care for the taste of it either. Will Owen have his birthday here in the states? Maybe we could try the fondant when your in town.
Oh - my favorite part was you admitting that you are using a baseball bat for a rolling pin. that made me really laugh out loud :)haha
Buttercream is WAY better anyways! :)
I think it looks awesome!! Too bad it doesn't taste as good as it looks!
It looks good! I think you did a great job for your first try. Cake making isn't easy...I took a cake decorating class once, I lasted the first day and quit!:) I bet you can make something just as cute with buttercream. Keep trying.
Aren't you glad you practiced on a cake that didn't really matter. I'm all for just buying a cute "Cosco" cake any day. They taste good, are pretty inexpensive, and then you can just enjoy the b-day. Icecream cakes are pretty yummy too!
I thought about a birthday cake for James before he was even born. But I guess that's what happens when you're pregnant and home all day because you're not allowed to work due to immigration and your husband has the car for work and school. I'm a fan of cupcake towers.
Way to go for giving it a shot. I have heard that it's pretty nasty anyhow. I like a good ol' peaked whipped cream frosting: so fast, and SO easy. Just cover w/ whipped cream & dab & pull with a spoon for a fun texture! Sprinkles really spice it up, too ;)
Good luck & enjoy your next attempt!
Thanks for saving me from a big mistake on Jack's first birthday! We look forward to having you at the Pic when we return. Owen will have so many friends! And so will you!
Post a Comment