Friday, April 9, 2010

Patch Eye

I had eye surgery today. It was minor and quick, but it still means I get to wear an eye patch.
I only wish I could look this cool wearing an eye patch.


Instead, mine is white and huge and takes up half my face.

Why did I need eye surgery? I only wish I could say it was vision correction surgery, but it wasn't. While we were living in Ecuador my eye started growing some funny looking blood vessels. I figured it was from wearing contacts too much and/or living in the high, dry, dusty, sunny environment of Quito. It didn't hurt but I stopped wearing my contacts as often and figured I'd get it looked at back in the US.

Back home I wasn't able to see a dr. right away because we were traveling to Arizona and New Mexico. In the mean time it started to look different- the blood vessels shrunk but a blood clot looking lesion appeared right next to the cornea. I went to an optometrist as soon as I could, they didn't know what it was, so I was sent to an opthamologist. Even he had never seen something like it before and didn't really know what it was, but knew it needed to come out. So, that brought me to today.

What did I have done? Excision of a "non-uniformly pigmented conjunctival/corneal lesion."
(I know this picture is not attractive, but hey it's my blog and really my personal journal.)
It was about a 5-10 minute procedure but I was awake since it's best I don't have anesthesia being pregnant. He did numb it up, but it was still super uncomfortable having my eyelids pried open, having to stare at super bright lights, and having him touch my eyeball. I was afraid I'd move my eye too much, but I was somehow able to zone out, and I really didn't feel anything. I'm glad it was a quick procedure.

Under my eye patch I have a big, in my opinion (small in the doctors opinion), crater in my eye now. And my eye stings and burns when I move it under my eyelid. My eye should heal in about a week, and I should get my eye patch off tomorrow. Until then, I can say "Arrr, Matey!"

8 comments:

Katy, Bill and Easton said...

It is all about the attitude and you can look just as cool. (:

RHulsey said...

Oh my goodness! I would not have been able to keep my eye still. I give you mad props for that. And at least with the crazy giant eye patch everyone knows that you had a medical procedure done and they don't think that you think you are a pirate ;)

Andrea said...

You brave thing! I'm glad the doctors knew what to do even though they hadn't seen your case before.

acandiedapple said...

I'm glad you got that thing taken care of. I've been thinking about it for some reason lately. Good luck with the healing.

Amy Legler said...

You are awesome! I never could have done it being awake. I'm glad all went well!

Amy said...

Melanie, that picture comparison is hilarious---your expression is just like the hollywood one.

I had eye surgery when I was little to remove a splinter of metal that got wedged in my eye....I'm glad your surgery went well but I know it is so uncomfortable afterwards!! I hope things continue to heal well and that no complications develop. :)

heather said...

You are so brave. I hate people messing with my eyes!

Kristy said...

Wow! I love the dramatic stare! Nice job on getting it taken care of. I would be a little freaked out with someone touching my eyeball. Hopefully it all heals well.