Thursday, September 18, 2008

Updates

I meant to write this post last week, but things have been busy around here. Here's some of what we've been up to:

*Two weekends ago we took a trip up to Payson so Owen could meet his great-great-grandma. There were 5 generations there: great great grandma Helen, great grandma Jean, grandma Cathy, daddy Josh, and Owen. We felt so lucky to be able to have 5 generations together all at one time! And great great grandma Helen was just in LOVE with Owen. Seeing them interact was just precious.



*Two Sundays ago was Owen's baby blessing. It was such a special day. Owen was so cute dressed in his white outfit, and it was great to be surrounded by our families.


*Last weekend we went to a surprise party/music concert for my dad's 50th birthday party. He was completely surprised, which made it more fun. He writes and arranges church music, so everything performed were his pieces. I even got out the old rusty violin and played something! (And I did sound quite rusty, too.)


*Owen has been growing and growing, and has become much more aware of his surrounding and more playful too. He looks around at things all the time, and constantly has his head arched back because his favorite things to look at are lights and ceiling fans. He wiggles a lot, he smiles more, he's started becoming more familiar with his voice and he'll coo, and every once in a while he'll make a sound in his sleep that sounds like a laugh. He can still fit into most of his newborn clothes, but some of them are starting to get tight. He made me really really happy a few nights in a row because he slept for 5-6 hours straight! We'll see how much that persists. I don't want to get too excited though because two nights ago he was up every 2-3 hours.



*Josh finally made it to Ecuador safely on Tuesday. He was supposed to leave last Friday but his flight was cancelled due to Hurricane Ike (his flight went through Houston). He's just happy to be there now.
*Much of my time the past week has been occupied with trying to get Owen's birth certificate. It's been quite stressful and frustrating!! It's a long long long story, but it's been hard because the only way to get it is through either a mail in request to have them mail it back to you, but that will take 3 months we've been told, or a parent has to go pick it up in person. Luckily, the supervisor at the vital records has tried to be nice and help us as much as she can, so we just might get it next week. Then I'll have to mail the birth certificate back to Chicago (yes, it's silly) to a company that can get Owen's passport in a day or two. The good thing is I won't have to fly to LA to get his Visa because they are going to let us do it through the mail. Hooray!! Basically, getting the birth cert/passport/visa would be 1000 times easier if we were still in Chicago, but we are thoroughly enjoying our time with family and friends in sunny Arizona, and we are so grateful to Josh's parents who are letting us take over their house and eat their food. Thank you!

9 comments:

heather said...

I'm sure being at home with your families is better than being in Chicago -especially with the hubby gone!

And how nice that you could have a five generation photo! That doesn't happen very often, you know?

Anonymous said...

Oh Melanie, I need to call you. I'm glad you gave an update. Owen is just getting cuter and cuter. Sorry about all the stress w/the birth cert and whatnot. I hope it comes quickly and things go smoothly from there.

Yeah, that 5 generation photo, how awesome is that? I knew you were going to Payson to see Josh's grandma, but I didn't know about the great grandma (Owen's great great grandma). That is so cool.

We'll talk soon.

Andrea said...

Sorry about the frustrating birth certificate process. I should have told you about that with us -- that it takes months. But it looks like it will work out. I was amazed to see 5 generations. I don't even remember my great-grandparents.

Lyndi said...

Wow, birth certificates/visas/passports etc. are such a pain to deal with - good luck! I hope it all works out soon for you guys. Owen is just SO cute! I just love our 5 generation photo - it's such a treasure. Oh, and cute haircut!!

Janet, Aaron, & Ashton said...

So cute-I love all of the pictures! I can't wait to meet him and for Ashton and him to meet!:)

Janet, Aaron, & Ashton said...

P.S. I wish we could have a 5 generation picture-my great grandpa died years ago but I am glad I got to know him! How long is your hubby going to be gone?

Heather said...

I love Owen's bath towel - I wonder what talented person made that? Oh yah, me! I'm glad that he is using it. You guys look so good. I love your new haircut Melanie and that slideshow of pictures was so precious. It makes me wish I had done something similar. I hope everything goes smoothly with your transition. Miss you!

Lindsay said...

He is so sweet! I love all the pictures of him.

Anonymous said...

i love his blessing outfit, it is so cute!
i got his birth announcement in the mail the other day, it is so precious! i don't think i've seen a more perfect baby :)