So I had no choice to take a trip out to Chicago. This birth certificate issue has been the worst nightmare of my life! Thinking back, I laugh how I thought it would be possible to get his birth certificate/passport/visa before we had moved to Arizona. Such a silly thought.
Condensed version of story:
After much pleeding, the supervisor at the vital records office agreed to mail me the birth certificate. It should have come in the mail last Monday, but I waited all week and it still didn't come. I assumed it got lost in the mail. The people at the office said they could do no more to help me. Arrrrgh! Now I'm down to the wire with time left to take care of this. Saturday I decided to take matters into my own hands and I bought a ticket to come to Chicago to get everything needed in one trip. Then Monday rolls around and what comes in the mail...yep, the birth certificate. A week late. But I still came to Chicago to get the passport and visa. I no longer had time to get the visa from LA through the mail, and I thought flying 3 1/2 hours to Chicago with an infant would be a lot easier than driving 7 hours to LA. Plus, I've gotten to visit some friends which is always fun! The cool fall weather has been a nice break from the Arizona heat.
So far I've gotten the passport (YAY!!!!), and tomorrow I'll go get the visa. Cross your fingers it all goes smoothly!!
Thursday, October 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
My fingers are crossed.
Things will go smoothly :-)
They can't get any worse than they already did, right? I am sorry you had to fly out there, but yeah, at least you got to see friends.
I can't believe it came in the mail after all that. How frustrating!
Call me whenever, I'm thinking of you, Owen, and Josh.
Urgh! What a hassle! But thats fun that you get to see some friends one last time before making your journey south, and I bet Owen was a gem on the plane because he just looks like that kind of "good" baby. :)
Oh man! What a roller coaster! I'm glad you could make one last trip, though!
Good luck Mel!!
Sorry to hear about the frustration. I can imagine the crappy Chicago customer service you had on the phone -- a nightmare is right!! Hopefully it all works out. Enjoy your time in Chicago -- we miss it.
Oh my! What a story. I'm glad you are getting things taken care of. I was just thinking of you yesterday and was wondering what was going on. At least you'll get to relax once your in Ecuador? Maybe? Good luck with everything.
Oh, man. That is just not fun. Sorry about the hassles! ... and Kudos to you for sticking to the changed diet for little Owen! That's TOUGH! - You just might get used to the soy thing... there's also lots of other milk subsitutes out there... May the Force be with you! ;)
Oh my goodness! What a nightmare. And I thought trying to get Warren's soc security card out of the 63rd and Cottage office was terrible. The lady there almost had me in tears! Good luck, Melanie!!!! I'm sure it will work out just fine.
Melanie,
It was so fun having you here! Thanks for the cute little scare crow. Anyway, just thought you'd like to know that the bird recovered! He rested for awhile in this little bed we made him, and then he flew away! YAY! Anyway, talk to you later!
Send me your e-mail address and I will give you tons of food ideas. If you are dying for a chocolate cookie...Oreo's are safe for a milk-less diet!
Post a Comment