All the Fulbright scholors in Ecuador got together this week for some special lectures, and they also were taken on a field trip to the Termas de Papallacta (Thermal Springs of Papallacta) located 40 miles east of Quito.

First we took a hike through some mountain/jungle areas. This area is known for it's large species of birds, including the Andean Condor, the largest flying land bird in the western hemisphere. We were bummed we didn't see one. We did see a few wild llamas though!! We didn't think we'd ever really see wild llamas.
(there are 3 of them, a little hard to see)
Then we enjoyed the hot springs. The outside air was a bit cold (we were higher elevation than Quito!) but the water was nice to relax in. I let Owen dip his toes in, but I didn't want him to get wet and cold. He'll have to go swimming for the first time on another day.

8 comments:
THat's awesome! And I love your big boots! :) I'd be more worried about snakes than bird watching though. :/ It looks like just the kind of place snakes would like!
Wow, how cool. I was hoping to see a pic of the bird, but I guess you guys didn't get to see it. Maybe sometime before your adventure is done . . .
What an amazing adventure you are on!! Those hot springs look divine.
Your little Owen is a cutie!
Oh, I am back to blogging.
So, are you so happy you guys chose to go ahead and do the Quito/Ecuador thing? Or is it still so fresh that you're in tourist shock still? Looks like you have having AMAZING adventures, I am living it vicariously through your blog ;)
It look gorgeous there!! And cold? Your had some serious jackets on. I'd love to go there sometime.
Your experiences are already so incredible. It's so fun to read about your awesome discoveries.
Hey, everything looks wonderful! I hope you are having fun.
Post a Comment