Sunday, March 15, 2009

7th Anniversary and Baños

Thursday we celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary! When we first came to Ecuador we knew we wanted to do something fun, so we planned a trip to Baños, a popular vacation place for both locals and tourists.
Baños is south of Quito, nestled in a beautiful mountain valley at the foot of the Tungurahua Volcano. It has been one of our favorite places in Ecuador. The weather was perfect, the scenery breathtaking, the city clean, the people friendly, and the food yummy. It's not often you find all of these together in one place in Ecuador.

Thursday we spent the morning hiking the mountain and we had awesome views of the valley. I am still sore from the hike!

After our hike Josh and I both got massages that were heavenly! (and it's great they're so inexpensive here!)

In the evening we went to the "piscinas" or baths that make the town popular (hence the name Baños). The water is naturally warm and full of minerals from the nearby volcano.

Then we enjoyed a delicious fondue dinner at the restaurant at our hotel, and we had the whole restaurant to ourselves! (Owen is asleep on the ground next to us).

The next day we went to the local zoo. We love zoos! We saw tons of beautiful tropical birds.

And we saw these (ugly) capibaras, the largest rodent in the world.

But this was just adorable! A mama spider monkey with her tiny little baby clinging on to her. We could have watch these monkeys all day.

To end our trip we took Owen to an awesome park. Daddy and baby had lots of fun on the toys.

It was a fun, relaxing anniversary. Oh, and Josh surprised me by getting me a new watch that I wanted. Plus, we got our tax return on our anniversary, which was an added bonus!

9 comments:

Amy said...

Congratulations! Wow, what a beautiful place to spend your anniversary. Those pictures are breathtaking.

Kristy said...

Happy Anniversary! I can't believe that it's been 7 years! It looks like you guys truly made that most of it! I love the picture of Owen enjoying the baths!

Andrea said...

What a FUN anniversary!! I'm sure you'll be remembering that for years to come. Sounds like a perfect day. Happy 7th!

Maranda Whittle said...

Cute little monkeys! Happy Anniversary!!!

Amy said...

Happy anniversary!!! Looks like you all had fun! Can you believe it's been 7 years?

heather said...

HOW FUN! And Happy Anniversary!

Heather said...

How awesome!
I admit that I was a little curious of what the title meant. I was kind of expecting some embarrassing moment or something. "Baths" sounds much better than what I was imagining.

Valerie said...

What a fun day for me! I know you don't know me, but I found your blog through Emily Ann's and she doesn't know me either. I was looking for blogs of LDS people in Ecuador and found several. You have fun photos that I enjoy looking at. I've been to Baños twice, but never on my anniversary. Fun. Your baby is adorable too.

amy mo said...

Looks like you guys had fun!!

& don't worry, of course I'll stay updated with your blog!!