Sunday, December 20, 2009

Owen's First Trip to the ER

We always thought Owen's first trip to the ER would be for something like stitches or a broken bone, but nope, he was just sick. That means that yes, we abused the system and used it like a clinic. (do we healthcare workers and future ER doctor dare admit that??)

For the past month Owen has had a stuffy nose that turned into a cough. I thought it would just eventually go away, but it decided to linger around. He saw his regular doctor last week for a check-up and the dr. wasn't concerned at all. Well, Friday evening Owen spiked a fever so we gave him Tylenol which helped him get a decent night's sleep, but he was still quite hot and breathing pretty fast.

Early Saturday morning he wasn't any better and Josh was worried he might have pneumonia or something. Being the weekend plus we are leaving for Arizona on Monday, we really wanted him to be seen so we decided to take him to the ER. If we lived someplace with urgent care offices around, we probably would have just gone there.

We were lucky because it was early enough on a cold, slushy morning that there was no wait time! We signed in at 7:20am and left to go home at 9:00am. Super fast for an ER! The dr's couldn't find any signs of infection from their physical exam, but they still decided to give Owen antibiotics which is all we wanted!

It's really no fun when your child is sick. I know he is just miserable and there's not a whole lot I can do for him except for keeping the medicine coming on time. The one nice thing is he gets super cuddly when he's not feeling well. I'll take any chance I can get to cuddle with him, even if it's during the middle of the night! We hope he feels better soon.

5 comments:

RHulsey said...

Oh no! I hope he gets better soon.

Amy said...

Hope the antibiotics do the trick. Check my blog :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor baby. I'm glad it wasn't pneumonia or something else. That is scary.

Hope he feels and gets better quick. Glad you got an antibiotic!

Angie said...

Glad that it was a quick visit...and hope that lil' Owen feels back to his usual self soon! Safe travels, and Merry Christmas!

Amy Legler said...

Glad it wasn't phnemonia or anything super scary. I hope the antibiotics help and he's better by Christmas. Can't wait to see you guys!