Sunday, December 20, 2009

Residency Interviews

Josh survived residency interviews! He literally went coast to coast (California to Massachusetts) and several places in between. Luckily, he only had to fly to five of the eleven, but the cost and exhaustion quickly add up, especially since he flew to five places in just over 2 weeks! But he's such a trooper. I'm sure I complained about it more than he did.

For his last interview we all drove to Columbus and we stayed with some friends who used to live in Chicago. It was a fun family road trip and great to catch up with old friends. They also have a little boy who's about Owen's age and they had a blast playing together.




When Josh's interview was done he came home and said "I'm not going to put this suit on again for a few years!" If that's a case, I told him I had to take a picture so I can remember how nice he looks in a suit. :)

Now that interviews are over, Josh has to decide his preference of programs and rank his preferences from highest to lowest. He'll submit his rank list in February, and each residency program also submits a similar list with preferred applicants ranked in order of their preference. A computer combines the lists and, using an algorithm, the computer matches applicants to programs. This is supposed to ensure that applicants get their best possible match. Then we wait until March 18th "Match Day" to find out what program Josh matched into! It's really a crazy system and we'll be glad when it's all over!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet he's glad to get a break from dressing up in the suits!

Rae said...

I do remember all that all to well. I am happy for you guys. Something that a friend told me to do that I loved was pray to know where we were meant to go. And sure enough two weeks or so before match day I kept having UT come into my mind. When before I was not really big on going there. I loved it because when he open his letter and said UT I knew it was right for us. It's not fun to not know where your headed but super fun making plans right after you find out. I can't wait to hear where you guys will be. What is he going to be doing his residency in?

Amy Legler said...

I would die with such a long wait!! Glad the interviews went well!