Friday, March 26, 2010

Hair

Today I got a haircut. Not a big deal, it was just a trim. But getting a haircut always makes me think about my hair.

You see, I have a love/hate relationship with my hair. I don't have easy hair to deal with, but when it's all done it can look really nice! It's thick, shiny, full of body, a good color. But, it takes a lot of work to get it looking nice!

My hair is really thick, and there's a lot of it. Every time I get my hair done the stylist will say "boy, you sure do have a lot of hair!" This means it takes a long, long time to dry. My hair is also pretty curly. This fact may not be obvious to a lot of people because I straighten it most days. But I straighten it because it's not all curly. I would love to wear my hair curly every day, but the top layer of hair is pretty straight while underneath there is a lot of curl (which became much curlier after I gave birth to Owen!). It really doesn't look that great, and it will be flat by the end of the day.

My thick, curly hair combination makes doing my hair a big hassle! I'd love a hair style/hair type where I could just let it air dry or do it in 5 minutes. Instead, it takes me so long to blow dry, then straighten with a flat iron. I'd say at least 20-30 minutes, which is way too long since I have to shower and apply makeup too. With a 1 1/2 year old begging for attention, taking this much to get ready is really difficult!

To make things easier I try to only wash my hair every other day, though I still might run a curling iron through it to get rid of bed head, but that's still much faster. I've also tried to quicken my routine by not completely doing my hair every day. The results aren't very appealing in my opinion!

blow dried only

air dried

scrunched with hair product and air dried

blow dried and straightened


Aside from being both blow dried and straightened, I think the scrunched with hair product looks the best. But with all the hair product I'd have to wash my hair every day. When I'm lazy or not going anywhere for the day I might air dry only, but then I feel frumpy and it bugs me. And I've thought about cutting it shorter to see if that helps but I've had shorter hair and I think I look better with longer hair.

So, for the most part I'll probably have to accept the fact that I'll be spending 20-30 minutes on my hair for the rest of my life! *sigh*

12 comments:

Amy said...

I felt like I was reading my own commentary! My hair is the same way. Your hair might be a little thicker than mine though. But I do have to blow dry, and straighten every day, rain or shine or I don't feel quite "right"! I feel much better when I do it!

Kristy said...

I could swear that you were talking about my hair. The crazy thing is that I had totally straight hair growing up and it's just gotten more and more curly with each child. Unfortunately, it's absolutely straight in the front, so it doesn't look as nice as yours when I try to scrunch it. And I'm sad to say that my hair gets put in a ponytail most of the time because I just don't find the time to actually do it.

Amy Legler said...

Your hair is so cute curly!!

Melissa said...

I never knew you had so much curl! I like it curly.

I too have, what I like to call "naturally obnoxious hair" because it's not naturally straight or naturally curly but somewhere in the middle.

My hair did the opposite of yours after having kids, the curl has turned to mostly just frizz *sweet*. One thing I used to do when I could wear my hair curly is the second day, instead of washing it I would just spray it with water to dampen it and then scrunch it while blow drying it on low. If you have a diffuser that works well too. The water kind of reactivated the product that was already in my hair and would perk it up enough to look good.

This past year I came up with a different hair routine. It's worked really well for me. My sister-in-law even tried it and noticed a difference with her hair too. Here it is, please don't think I'm disgusting.....I wash my hair twice a week. Saturday and Wednesday. Saturday night I wash it and leave the conditioner in it all night for a deep conditioning. Sunday morning I just rinse my hair out and dry it straight with a round brush. Usually on Monday I don't have to do anything to my hair but run a brush through it. Wednesday I just wash and condition it in the shower in the morning. Since I've been doing this my hair is less frizzy, I can get it straight without using a straightener, and is growing really well. All around it seems healthier.

Sorry for the really long, info-mercial like comment. Basically, I hope you find something that takes less time and works for you because I feel your pain.:0)

Malinda said...

I have the same problem. My sis-in-law who does my hair alwasy says I forgot how much hair you have. When she is cutting and coloring it. I get my hair thinned every 3 months to help get rid of the weight and make it more manageable to do. I still spend about 20-30 minutes doing my hair but I can't imagine if I didn't get it thinned what i would be spending on it. Serisouly when she is done thinning it looks like a whole other head of hair on the ground.

I like your hair curly. It's cute!

acandiedapple said...

Please don't ever cut your hair. You have hair that most girls can only dream of. I really like it scrunched with product and air dried. I always feel frumpy if I don't blow dry my hair too.

RHulsey said...

I have been just showering at night. It air dries overnight and then all I have to do is straighten it in the morning. It has been helpful because Connor can only take so much mommy getting ready time. It also means I don't have to blow dry my hair which has been saving it some damage.

kemra said...

My hair is very similar to yours...i have to say - it's not fun, and I feel your pain! It takes me about 40 minutes to straighten - and I still feel like it's frizzy!

I know this may sound gross - but I only wash my hair once a week. You can train your scalp to produce less oil. Just gradually increase the amount of days between washes...I wash my hair every Saturday - it's so nice, and saves time during the week : ) Seriously, give it a try!

Brenda said...

Wow, I had no idea your hair had a mind of its own. No matter which way you do it, you look gorgeous!!

Cassie said...

I didn't know your hair was that curly! I like it curly or straight. It looks good both ways. :-)

The Thompson's said...

I don't think I knew you had curly hair! I've known you forever but I don't think I ever thought about it. I have always loved your hair. It's nice and thick and the perfect color. Your hair is perfect in my eyes, but I didn't realize you went through so much work to do it.

KIMS CORNER said...

do you ever get your hair thinned out when you get a hair cut? I do it every other haircut and it helps shorten the blowdry time and straightening time. I make sure the stylist thins it out a lot though.