Thursday, January 24, 2008

cactus don't belong in Illinois


Right before we moved to Chicago I bought these cacti because I wanted to have something to remind me of my desert homeland. I figured cactus would be low maintenance to care for. They don't need much watering. I watered them every once in a while, and for a long time they looked nice and green and healthy (I wish I had taken a before pic). Eventually one of them died, hence the emtpy spot. But the other two still seemed to be thriving. Then, one day I went to water them and they looked like THIS! There was no more hope for them. The cold was probably a little hard on them. I guess it's a good thing I have some pictures to help remind me of the desert. And the longer I'm away from it, the more beautiful it seems to be!



6 comments:

heather said...

The desert is an acquired taste.
Did you take those cactus pictures?

Amy said...

I love black and white landscape pictures. Yours of the desert are gorgeous.

Danielle said...

Agreed, the desert is an acquired taste. I never much liked it until I moved away (although I still prefer the greenery of the east coast). Max had a love for the desert instantly... I always thought that was a little strange. But I'm glad he loves to go to Vegas.

Maranda Whittle said...

Oh, the poor cactus! I don't know, maybe it's because I live here and I go back East a lot, but I think the desert is soooo ugly!

Scott, Emilie, and Sterling said...

lol ... you know your homesick when you bring the cactus back as a souvenir!! You are so adorable ... I'm seriously cracking up! This is great! However I do relish the warmth here, so while it's gorgeous elsewhere, I just don't know about all that cold. I guess we're all just hopeless sun babies and nothing will ever change that, hu? Take care --- xoxo

Anonymous said...

those pictures are so beautiful! i used to not like the desert, but i have come to appreciate it. besides i could never live in the cold! this 50 degree weather is killing me! :)