Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Protecting your blog privacy

My friend Darby made a good post on her blog about how to keep your blog more private so you don't have problems with creepy people posting strange things. I thought they were all great tips so I wanted to share (I hope you don't mind me sharing your post Darby):


"first i went into my settings and did the following

Went to Settings, selected Basic

Add your blog to our listings? NO
(this means that when i update my blog it does not show up on the blogger homepage or any other page as being updated - very important)

Let search engines find your blog? NO
(this means that search engines can not bookmark my site at all - bad if you are a buisiness, good if you are a family)

(Scroll down and click Save Changes)


Next I went I went to Comments (still in settings)

Who Can Comment?
Registered Users - includes OpenID
(this means that only people who can comment are those with gmail accounts - or who have active blogs open - this helps eliminate computers from spamming)

Enable comment moderation? Yes
(this means that no comments will post to our blog with out us approving them first - this way you can axe anything before it shows up)

Show word verification for comments? Yes
(this is super annoying, but important to stop spam and deter unwanted comments because it's an extra step)

(Scroll down and click Save Changes)

LAST THING
I never mention last names, show my address or town and I try to not tell the full names of anyone else on my blog either. also i don't post birthday specifics or when i'll be out of town. all of that will just lead to a home alone movie where the burglers find out when you are leaving. leave that kind of stuff to personal emails to family or blog about it when you get home. I also try to respect my friends privacy by not posting photos that could embarrass. The internet is really quite insane. once it's on the web it's ALWAYS on the web so post with courtesy and care.

All in all those are my safe blogging tips. the first few are really important as they blog the search engines from seeing your blog!"


I already went and made the changes, and I removed all the last names of people in my links since it's good not to post full names. I hope these things will prevent me from needing to make my blog private. I really don't want to do that!

9 comments:

Scott, Emilie, and Sterling said...

Hey, thanks for passing along such great information --

:)

Cassie said...

You have no idea how glad I was to see this post. I really needed some help cleaning up my blog cause I didn't want to go private. I hope you don't mind put I'm gonna use this info on my blog. Thanks a ton!

Andrea said...

Thanks. I need to make changes to my blog now.

Maria said...

Thanks Melanie,
I'm going to make the changes to my blog. Also, thank you for the really nice email that you sent me earlier. It seriously made my day!

Amy said...

Thanks Mel! I've been meaning to politely ask people to take my last name off their links. So, I finally got motivated to do it!

amy mo said...

So, I guess I shouldn't have my full name in my title?? I worry about a lot of things but privacy on the internet isn't one of them...which I'm sure is bad. So I guess I should change some things. Oh, & happy anniversary yesterday! Woo 6 years! Man, you're 6 years older than I am so you were my age. Weird

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I just made the changes.

Odell Family said...

Thanks so much. That was so helpful. We just made the changes to our blog too!

darbs said...

i don't mind a bit :)