Meet Rockford:

and Coronado:

These cute little guys are box turtles. Rockford is a female and Coronado is a male. They may look the same but have very distinct personalities. Coronado is more shy and Rockford is the outgoing one. Coronado is slower to come out of his shell around people, but Rockford often sticks her head way out. She also eats more than Coronado!
They have belonged to Josh since he was in elementary school. We don't really know how old they are, and it's possible they could live long enough for us to pass them down to our children and grandchildren! Supposedly they could have a lifespan of up to 100 years.

They are very easy pets to take care of. This is where they live, it's just a shallow bucket with cedar chips. They aren't noisy, they just chill most of the time, and they don't even need to eat everday! They eat some fruits and veggies, and then we occassionally treat them with meat such as raw ground beef, meal worms, and the occassional cockroach or other bugs if they're lucky. We sometimes let them out to walk around the apartment, but they usually just run for a warm, dark corner to hide in.
We put them in the tub once a week so they can "drink up all the water and eat up all the soap" (ha ha, just kidding). But they do take a nice long drink and they like it. Then they try to escape from the tub. I sometime like to fill the tub up full enough so their feet can't touch and watch them swim. It's hilarious.

When the weather is nice we like to take them outside to play. We've taken them to the beach and to the park.

Rockford has her head sticking way out, and Coronado is safely tucked inside his shell.

They are fun to have around, and they keep us pretty entertained. Kids also love them! If you're looking to get and easy pet but don't just want goldfish, box turtles are the way to go. I think they're even easier than goldfish, and more fun. :)

9 comments:
We loved having turtles! But we got them as babies, and... well... they didn't last long. I don't know what happened, but they both died 4 or 5 months after we got them. Pretty sad! But I agree that they were easy! But I think I want a pet that I can easily tell when they're sick!
I think that's great you guys take them for outings to the beach and to the park. Turtles are fun.
What are you going to do with them while you're in Ecuador?
We'd probably have to leave the turtles with the "grandparents" in AZ while we were in Ecuador. They lived with the grandparents before we moved to Chicago. We'd miss them!
I'm not sure what kind of turtles Amy's parents have, but Brenda let my girls come over and see their turtles about a week ago. They absolutely loved it! And Melanie still talks about it. It's made me contemplate getting turtles as a pet. Especially since my girls seem to be fascinated with animals, but deathly scared of all of them. I was successful in getting Savannah to touch the baby turtle's shell, so there may be hope there.
How freakin' cool. I love it. They are so cute. I lvoe how you take them places. I was just telling my mom last night that my sister needs a pet. I told her that she should get her a fish and then I said that that would be boring so I told her she shoulf get her a turtle because then she could take it out and hold it. That's funny. Glad you think they are good pets. I'[ll have to tell my mom.
Yes, why haven't you posted that sooner? That's great! I love the pictures of them at the beach! What will you do with them if you move out of the country?
How cute! I've never really cared for turtles but yours make me want one. It'd be a lot easier than the puppy Brad brought home. I like low maintenance!
P.S. - did you get the email I sent with my address?
I never thought I'd think turtles look cute, but they do!
Cute guys! Will they be neglected when the baby comes? Ha ha!
Post a Comment