Thursday, October 16, 2008

La Mitad del Mundo

We went to "la Mitad del Mundo" translated to the Middle of the World, also known as the equator. We had the great opportunity to straddle both hemispheres! We saw two equators. No, there aren´t really two equators, but there is the "official" one, with a big monument and where all the tourists go. But, about 15 years ago or so, with GPS technology, the actual equator was verified, just 200 meters to the north. We did lots of fun things on the real equator, including balancing a raw egg on the head of a nail. It´s easiest to do this on the equator. It´s also more difficult to walk in a straight line with your eyes closed on the equator due to forces from both hemispheres pulling at you. And we did confirm that yes, water does really spin in the opposite direction south of the equator! It spins counterclockwise north of the equator, and it spins clockwise south of it. What do you think it does right on the equator?? It indeed falls straight down, no spinning! And I have video proof. We want to go back on March 21st, the day of the equinnox. At noon on this day nothing casts a shadow! It also does this on September 21st.

The "official" equator


Owen even stood on the equator


The GPS verified real equator


egg balanced on the head of a nail


on the equator, no spinning at all


south of the equator- water spins clockwise


north of the equator- water spins counter-clockwise

12 comments:

Amy said...

ok, I'm pretty sure those videos of the leaves spinning and falling straight down are the coolest I've seen on any blog.

Andrea said...

What a cool place. I've been to four corners in the US (you probably have too), but I wonder if I'll ever make it to the equator line. Owen is a real cutie!

Anonymous said...

holy crud...you are there! that month went fast! that is so cool you got to experience all those fun things at the equator...i've only heard, never seen anything in action, so thanks for the video! :)
mr owen is so adorable!

Brenda said...

I didn't know all that cool stuff about the equator!! Owen is growing up so big! He is so cute! It looks like you guys are having a good time!

Catherine said...

Yay, I'm glad you went to the real equator! Did you get to see the shrunken heads? That was my favorite part.

Laurie said...

Oh my gosh, that's insane!! I totally want to go there and just watch the water spin in different directions all day!! ... Wow... SO cool!!

The Hancocks said...

That is so cool that you guys got to see the equator!

heather said...

how interesting!

KIMS CORNER said...

Hi Melanie! Glad you got there ok, and it seems to be a really beautiful place, and a pretty nice place to live too. Thats really cool you got to visit the equator. That sounds like alot of fun.

Tanya Leigh said...

Okay, that was awesome! Thanks for the verification. I never knew the earth was so SENSITIVE! How far "north" and "south" of the equator are those other sinks?

Seriously, the geek in me is enthralled! :) Thanks for the videos, you cute little family you :) Tienes enojado en Ecuador, hablando espanol?? (hows that for broken spanish? ;)

Tanya Leigh said...

Darn. I just posted a comment & it's disappeared. :P

Those videos have the nerd in me comletely enthralled! :) Thanks for posting those, I really didn't know the earth was THAT sensitive! ... so if it's that obvious, how come it took so long to find the "real" equator? How come they didn't just do the water test? ;)

Como es tu espanol? Tienes enojado en la nueva paiz? ... lol. How's that for broken spanglish.

Anonymous said...

Owen didn't look like he liked that too much (j/k)

Hope you're doing well. I love seeing all the pictures and scenery of what it's like there.