Monday, October 13, 2008

Quito, Ecuador

After a whirlwind few weeks, our family has finally been reunited and we are officially living in Quito, Ecuador now! Owen and I arrived late last Wednesday. Owen has become quite the international traveler, and has done very very well on all six plane rides he's been on. Josh's mom Cathy came with us to help me out. Traveling with a baby, 4 suitcases, a pack n play, a carseat, a carseat base, and stroller by yourself is not easy!! She has been such a huge help!!

We are thoroughly enjoying Quito! We've had a few recent bumps in the road though: our laptop, ipod, and portable DVD player were stolen out of our apartment while Josh was gone at the rural clinic, I already got sick with some bug, likely e. coli, which caused me to lose the contest Josh and I were having of who could go the longest without throwing up (yes, I made it through pregnancy and labor without throwing up once), and now I have lost our camera. But don't worry, Cathy has taken lots of pictures I will post! Luckily our renters insurance will cover our stolen things. We essentially will have all new electronics now.

In our apartment. Josh's birthday was Oct. 1 so we missed it. We made up for it by throwing him a party when we got there. The big 29! (don't worry, Josh has since shaved his moustache off)


Our church building, a 15 min walk from our apartment


In the front of our apartment building. It was really windy.


A view of Quito, looking to the west. These mountains are beautiful and behind them is a volcano, Volcan Pichincha. It's usually always covered with clouds.


Checking out a local market in Mariscal


In old town Quito. This is the oldest church in South America, built in 1538. It was gorgeous inside.


A street in old town Quito. It rained all afternoon, as it tends to do here. It will be warm and sunny in the morning, then dark clouds quickly roll in! The rain doesn't stop our fun though.


We will be very comfortable here in Quito, with access to almost any American brand we want. Some of the American stores we've come across: TGIFridays, Papa Johns, Dominoes, Ruby Tuesdays, Pizza Hut, Radio Shack, Payless Shoes, Cinnabon, Baskin Robbins, a Mac store, all sorts of mall stores, and a cinemark movie theater is coming soon! Yes, we will be spoiled.

19 comments:

Danielle said...

Glad you made it safely!

We missed you at craft night the other week. Cami told me that Owen was having a hard time that night. Sorry about that!

Good luck with everything!

Amy said...

Oh my gosh I can't believe your stuff was stolen like that!
At the same time, I am SO GLAD you've got renter's insurance to cover it.
That is neat you live so close to church, thats gotta be nice. :)
Have you tried Inca Cola yet?

Laurie said...

Wow, I'm glad you're not "roughin'" it!! And I'm glad you guys are doing great! Sorry about the bug you got, but hopefully it's long gone!!

Anonymous said...

So, is your new laptop going to be a mac since you have an apple store? j/k that is something Drew would probably ask.

I am so happy you made it there safely. I have been thinking about you guys. What a bummer about the your stuff getting stolen. Thank goodness you had insurance. What happened with your camera? You lost it, it didn't get stolen right?

It looks like a fun adventure. I want updates all the time. I bet Owen is already changed so much just since I saw him last.

You have an amazing mother-in-law.

Kristy said...

I'm so glad that you guys made it there just fine. It's a lot of work and stress traveling with a new born. And I must say that I think that you guys look like you have more modern conveniences available to you than we did in rural Ohio or at least stores!

Janet, Aaron, & Ashton said...

Glad to see you guys made it there safe! Love Josh's stache-LOL! Cool pics-hope you enjoy it! It is good that you will get reimbursed for those items-how scary! Anyway, take care!

Brenda said...

I want to go to Quito!!! I love all your pictures and I told Jacob that South America is next on our list!! I am sorry to hear your electronics got stolen, at least you get to start fresh with brand new ones. When we were living in Guatemala, we had a few things stolen too. Loved Josh's mustache, he looks Spanish. Glad to see you guys are having so much fun!! Que les vaya bien.

Heather said...

I'm glad to hear everything's going so well. Hope you're feeling better, ugh. Stolen but new electronics, bummer to lose all your data but fun to get new stuff.

Sounds like you'll have a lot of fun there. I'm sure you a major looker there, with your fair skin and blond hair. Not to mention, you're gorgeous.

By the way, I'm jealous of Josh's mustache. Wish Brad would grow one for me. =)

Odell Family said...

Wow...I don't even know what to say about the mustache. I laughed and Shaun was extremely disappointed that Josh shaved it. Your place looks awesome and it sounds like things are wonderful. We were so excited to hear an update.

Jeannie said...

Wow! Glad you're liking it there so much-- except for the stolen equipment part. How rotten! Glad you'll be getting reimbursed. Enjoy the adventures of a new culture!

Andrea said...

I'm glad someone went with you to help you travel. Traveling with kids, stuff and doing airport security is tricky.

That's too bad about your stolen stuff. Good thing you have renters insurance.

Nicole + Brock said...

Nice 'stache Josh! Glad to hear you guys will be taken care of. Good luck down there.

Lyndi said...

Wow, you made it! Looks like you're having a ton of fun, except for the being sick part. :) What an exciting experience to live there for a while!

heather said...

WOw! It'll be almost like home!

You two seriously amaze me! I hope you're feeling better! :)

Gloria said...

I am so jealous! I would love to be able to travel around like you. I am sorry about the E coli ....yuck. Is it from eating out? How did you nurse the baby being that sick?

Amy said...

I can't believe you are already there! What a whirlwind of events you went through to get there! But, I'm glad you're there and that now you can relax! (I hope!) It looks so pretty there, and it's good to hear about all of the "American" things you have there as well. Good luck with everything. I hope nothing else get's taken!

amy mo said...

I'm glad to see you enjoying yourself in Quito. Send pictures of Owen when you can! love ya mom

Courtni said...

I am a friend of Amy Naseaths and she sent me your blog link because I served my mission in Quito (1998-2000) I actually was in Barrio Colon for the last 4 months of my mission and went to your same church building.

Anyway, you may know this, but you definitely need to check out the village of Otavalo (not too terribly far outside of Quito -- maybe a little more than an hour. It is beautiful and full of members. There is also a few really pretty fun towns that might be interesting to check out. Ibarra, Cayambe, Riobamba to name a few.

If you have any questions, I would be happy to try to remember details and answer any that I can. My e-mail is courtnimuir@gmail.com. So jealous you are in Ecuador -- I loved living there1

Stoddard Studios said...

Man, I can't believe you live there. Looks so fun. The places you visit and things you get to do always look so fun. Can we trade lives? Ha ha.