The subcentro de salud (health center) where we worked and lived.
Ok, my computer won't let me arrange the order of the pictures, so here is what we did, in no particular order:
We played in the laguna. Well, at least Josh did. And he even let little fish nibble at him.
Josh and three other health center employees




View of the laguna from the back balcony of the health center. This was the sunniest day we had. It was usually cloudy, but not too hot and not too cold.

We spent lots of time hanging out in this hammock on the back balcony

We celebrated Halloween, even though nobody else knew why Owen was wearing a pumpkin hat.

No running water during the dry season, so we bathed out of buckets

In the main square of La Y

View of La Y from atop the water tower right by the health center. This is pretty much the entire village.

We made some new friends.

Our room. We sleep under mosquito nets.

The exam room in the clinic

More friends. Everyone loved Owen and everyone says he looks like a little doll.

View of the laguna from the back balcony of the health center. This was the sunniest day we had. It was usually cloudy, but not too hot and not too cold.
We spent lots of time hanging out in this hammock on the back balcony
We celebrated Halloween, even though nobody else knew why Owen was wearing a pumpkin hat.
No running water during the dry season, so we bathed out of buckets
In the main square of La Y
View of La Y from atop the water tower right by the health center. This is pretty much the entire village.
We made some new friends.
Our room. We sleep under mosquito nets.
The exam room in the clinic
More friends. Everyone loved Owen and everyone says he looks like a little doll.
We also ate some good food, along with some interesting foods. (Amy N., we were so excited to find Inca Kola!)

We enjoyed our time in La Y, it was quite an eye opening experience to see how the people here live. We were very happy to be back in Quito though, and we celebrated by going to Applebees. Thank goodness for American food! :)
We enjoyed our time in La Y, it was quite an eye opening experience to see how the people here live. We were very happy to be back in Quito though, and we celebrated by going to Applebees. Thank goodness for American food! :)

11 comments:
yay! I'm so glad you guys got Inca Cola! Isn't it different but good?
And your pictures are beautiful. Ecuador seems like such a beautiful country. I love that pic of Melanie and Owen in the grass that is as tall as Melanie, so great!
It is so beautiful there. Sounds like you guys are having a good time!
Wow!! What an experience you guys are having!!
Wow! What a cool experience you guys are having. I have to say, your "hut" that we were all talking about at your baby shower looks a lot better than I envisioned. I'm kind of jealous of your little adventure - you guys look like you are having a wonderful time. I love the bath in a pail picture. We hope you are doing well.
I love that picture with owen in the bucket getting a bath; that is priceless!! Don't you love how everyone takes to Owen?? I love how much people enjoy Thomas here! Owen is definitely looking like he is getting bigger.
How beautiful! I can tell Owen is getting bigger. He's DOES look like a doll. So cute. I agree, the bath picture is great!
WOW- I am so glad you posted some pics. I have been wondering what it's been like out in "the jungle." We need to get on Skype at the same time. Email me, maybe Sunday??
all i can say is wow! it looks like so much fun and a bit frightening too. also way to stick with traditions. i love the cute hat.
You guys are such a cute family!! I love your blog!! What a wonderful adventure that you and your family are having. As i look at your pictures i find myself missing my mission alot): what a kool experience!
You are amazing I dont' know if I could live there. What an experience for you. Glad to hear all is well.
Love the bucket bathtub! What a cutie. Such amazing experiences. I'm more than a little jealous!
Post a Comment