Josh's grandma decided to come visit us, and we were so excited to have a visitor! She was here for a full week and we had fun showing her around. Here are some of the highlights:
We went to Old Town Quito
We went up to the Panecillo, a little hill in the middle of Quito that has the popular Virgin statue. Ecuadorians are proud they have the only Virgin depicted with wings.
A great view of Quito from the Panecillo
We went to the town of Otavalo to see the markets, and we stopped by San Pablo Lake.
We also ate lunch by the Peguche Waterfall, surrounded by beautifully fragrant Eucalyptus trees.
We went to our local Friday produce market and bought these 25 roses for $2.
We had a picnic lunch at Parque Carolina, followed by yummy ice cream at Crepes and Waffles.
We went to Mitad del Mundo and stood on two hemispheres. We were there for the spring equinox, when the sun passes directly above the equator. This means at noon the sun is directly overhead, making it so nothing casts a shadow. Well, at noon on the equinox it was cloudy so we couldn't really tell that nothing had a shadow. But it was fun to be there for the equinox anyway!
Grandma also had loads of fun just being entertained by this cute kid! (which we're sure is the main reason she came, right?)

4 comments:
How fun for you & Josh's grandma. I know I say it every time, but Owen is getting cuter and cuter. Can't wait to see him again!
What a fun visit!! You're lucky someone wants to come visit you! Nobody in family will come to Thailand, though we did have Jacob's parents in November. Visitors are a lot of fun. Owen is adorable. I love the last picture where he is dressed up all nice. I see he is sitting up now.
How fun to have a visitor! Things look totally different when you're showing them to someone else for the first time!
That is so awesome that his grandmother would go visit you guys. My grandparents won't even visit me in Utah from California or Ohio. I bet your family thinks you're torturing them keeping that cute-as-a-button little guy of yours so far away from them. :)
I've only been to Ecuador twice on short trips. The first time was in '95 and my husband and I were supposed to stay for 3 months. We were in El Triunfo, a small city about an hour away from Guayaquil. The air there is so polluted and I have asthma so it was hard on my lungs. We went to Ambato and spent a week and then to Quito for only a day. Then back to El Triunfo where I got very sick. I had a million mosquito bites (even though all the native Ecuadorians with me didn't get bit once) and now I think I might have had malaria. I had horrible chills and a fever and just felt awful. I was afraid to go to the doctors there and begged to come home so we did. It took me a while to feel better and then for a couple of years I would get sick off and on with the same symptoms. But it's gone now.
Then about 4 years ago we took our 3 children for about a week (not long at all). We stayed 2 days in hot, humid El Triunfo and the rest of the time in Ambato and Quito. I much prefer Ambato and Quito to El Triunfo and have begged my mother-in-law to move there so we can visit her more often, but she loves it there. :) Sorry for the novel-length comment.
Post a Comment