Saturday, July 11, 2009

Settling into Chicago

We've been in Chicago a week and a half now, and I'm just finally starting to feel somewhat settled. When we first got here we unpacked some of our things, but left a lot of things packed still since we'll be moving to another apartment at the end of this month. Then for a week we had to plan all microwaveable, grillable, and crock-pot-able meals because our cooking gas couldn't be turned on for a week due to the holiday weekend. We are also without internet service in our apartment and are waiting to set up service until we're in our new place. So, we've had to work around these little inconveniences, which we've been able to do fine, it's just been a little more inconvenient.

Fourth of July weekend wasn't as fun as we had hoped. On the 3rd we were able to have an in-house BBQ and we invited a friend. We had made plans to go see fireworks that night (Chicago's main firework show is on the 3rd), but then Owen suddenly got sick so we stayed home. Owen was pretty sick on the 4th-- he had a fever, would hardly eat, wanted to be held all waking and sleeping moments, and he wouldn't play at all so I knew he was pretty sick. I felt so bad for him, this was the worst he's ever had it!!! Before we left Ecuador I had joked that Owen since Owen was so healthy there he would get back to the US and get sick. Guess I was right.

Josh has been busy with school, and he's on-call every 4th day, which means he stays overnight at the hospital. So I've had to adjust to a new schedule. But, now we're settling into our new routine and Owen is healthy again and things are feeling much better.

Since being back in Chicago we've been reminded again why we like this city so much! The weather is so nice, we love all the green, we love that we can walk outside during the day (as opposed to Phoenix this time of year), we love spending time on the lakefront and at all the parks, we love being able easily walk to so many stores, we love the diversity.
We are excited for our last year here!!

Owen familiarizing himself with the new apartment


We made it to The Taste of Chicago one last time

Hanging out at the lakefront
Enjoying the park

5 comments:

Amy Legler said...

So cute!! I can't wait till you guys are back in AZ! I'm so sorry Owen was sick, but glad he's feeling better!

acandiedapple said...

I miss you tons. Those pictures are what did me in. Calder loved swinging on those swings and I miss the Point, the Taste and the Wallbrechts. We're loving Columbus but it would have been better if all of our friends moved with us.

Andrea said...

So where did you end up living? Did you get in Picadilly?

Your cooking with the microwave or crock-pot described me situation a few weeks ago. It's tough to do.

Enjoy that nice Chicago summer weather and all the parks. Good luck as you continue to settle in.

Whitney said...

Of course Owen got sick as soon as he got to the states!! Where are you moving to in Hyde Park?

I'll be editing our videos on our Mac - imovie, but Brandon used to use something like Cyberlink (or direct) Power Producer on his PC. Good luck!

Laurie said...

Rae's dealing with every 4th night being an on-call night, too. I feel for you guys!!!