Sunday, October 14, 2007

Good Bye Warm Weather

Here in Chicago we were pretty spoiled for a few weeks while it was unusually warm. I was wearing shorts and sandles up to ealier this week. The leaves weren't changing color yet. In fact, last Sunday the Chicago Marathon was cut short due to the dangerously hot temperatures. Apparently people were getting dehydrated and passing out everywhere. I think it was the hottest Chicago Marathon ever.
But then literally over night, in just a few short hours, our weather completely changed and the heat is nowhere in sight! It's been in the 50's and 60's and a little rainy. I guess it's time to say good by to flipflops and short sleeves and to say hello to:
sweaters
socks
down jacket
hats and scarves and gloves
flannel pajamas
thermal underwear

This time of year also welcomes the fun things of fall:
falling leaves
reds, oranges, and yellows
pumpkin pie
apple
cinnamon
Halloween candy
the smell of warm fireplaces
pumpkin patches



(these pictures are from last fall)

I love autumn time! Everything about it is so fun. I hope to enjoy everything about it while it lasts. Because then winter is just around the corner and I know it will come fast.


11 comments:

Amy said...

Wow, those are amazing photos. They look like they came in a frame!

heather said...

Next year I get to experience my first true fall and winter. I am so excited!! Those are great pictures!

Stoddard Studios said...

Those pictures are so pretty. I wish AZ had a better appeal during this time of year. You're so lucky.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, looks like you scanned in a post card (ha ha). I love fall too. It's the perfect time of year. The air is crisp. Everything smells so good, and all the fun holidays begin approaching.

But I guess that also means busy, busy, busy!!!

Anonymous said...

lucky! :)
yeah, that was jessica casey from the old kachina ward, and guess what?! she married mac rainwater!

amy mo said...

You're so lucky you actually get to experience seasons! I don't know what happened, because I used to be able to go most of winter without a sweater because I don't get cold that easily, but now I'm such a wimp! I'm already cold in the mornings.

L&M said...

I love it here too, where I can actually see the seasons change! Hey, would you mind sending Heather a little note, I'd like to get in touch with her. my e-mail:
emollenhauer@gmail.com

Amy said...

Hi Melanie, this doesn't have anything to do with your post, but I just saw that you watch Heroes. We do too! I think one of Sylar's secret powers is that he can turn into a bug. I think that is how he escaped in the last episode of the 1st season. And I think it would make sense if the bug he turned into was a cockroach. It is impossible to kill those! Plus Mohinder's narrative is always talking about parasites, so I think Sylar can turn into a bug. Ok, go ahead and laugh. I'm ready. I just had to share.

Janelle said...

Oh how I wish AZ had a true fall! I love the fall leaves. I envy people who live in places that experience the 4 seasons.

Janelle

Scott, Emilie, and Sterling said...

Oooo ... I love your photos!! It is so gorgeous where you live, wow! I loved your fall list -- completely charming. I'm so excited for this time of year, especially pumpkin pie, mmm. The only thing better than that is my pumpkin cake ... maybe I should post the recipe so everyone can enjoy. It is absolutely fabulous. Anyway, it's so good to get to read about your life and all the adventures you have been up to. I love the internet hahaha. Take care.

Shelly said...

So jealous of all the pretty fall leaves. I like when it gets cooler and we get to bundle up.