Sunday, October 21, 2007

Happy Sweetest Day

Saturday was Sweetest Day!
Most of you are probably wondering "what the heck is that?" Well, out here we get to celebrate an extra holiday every 3rd Saturday of October! I know, jealous, huh.
As the name implies, it's a day to celebrate the "sweeties" in your life. Last year I heard people talking about it and thought they were saying "Swedish Day," so I really had no idea what they were talking about. But this year I confided in my dear friend Wikipedia and learned it's a holiday only celebrated in the Great Lakes region, and it was created by candy companies in Cleveland 84 years ago for the sole purpose of increasing their candy sales. Their idea was just never widespread.
Seems kind of funny to me, since candy companies are making a bundle on Halloween candy this time of year. But it's a fun excuse to think of your sweeties, it's like another Valentine's Day in October!

6 comments:

Brynn P. said...

Well.....HAPPY SWEETEST DAY!!!!! lol
I lived in NY and don't remember that...but maybe they don't have it either!!! I think it sounds like a great DAY!!

heather said...

That's kinda cool! Happy Sweetest Day!

Stoddard Studios said...

How cool! We should spread it through the rest of the country! I could do two valentines Day.

Amy said...

ha, thats funny. I would have thought they were saying Swedish too.

Laurie said...

I went to Target yesterday right after reading this post, and I walked by the cards, and there was a whole column of Sweetest Day cards!! I guess for all those Great-Lakes-region natives! :)

kemra said...

I am always up for another holiday! Especially if it involves candy!