Monday, November 19, 2007

Happy Birthday To Me!

Saturday, November 17th, was my 26th birthday! I am one year older, and have entered a new stage in life: the downhill of the 20's. I'm close to 30 now than I am to 20. At first I was sad to turn a year older, but now I'm over it. 30 will probably be harder!

I had a pretty fun birthday. My dad was in town so we spent the day with him. I started out the day by sleeping in then eating my favorite oatmeal pancakes (thanks to a recipe from Amy Brinton) with strawberries, yum!! Then we went to the Museum of Science and Industry, a fantastic place. They had a "Christmas Around the World" display, with a Christmas tree decorated for every country. They were also having a special Star Wars exhibit so we got to take pictures with some star wars characters.

this is the back side of the museum





After fun at the museum, we headed downtown and went to the movie Fred Claus**. (see comment at bottom for more info about Fred Claus). It was pretty cute. Each year Chicago also has a big Lights Festival along the Magnificant Mile (a stretch of Michigan Ave., a popular street, lots of shopping) with a parade and everything. We went to that, and there were SO many people there! It was fun, and the parade was good too!



Mickey Mouse led the way for the parade
To end the evening, we ate dinner at a great Italian place called Volare that we just happened to run into. We were planning on eating somewhere different, but this place looked better. By the end of the night my toes were frozen from walking around outside for so long, but it was worth it!

For my present, Josh made me some flowers out of balloons, almost as good as real ones! (he learned how to make a few balloon creations on his mission). One of them had a clue inside telling me what my present was. He knew I had wanted kitchen stuff, so he got me a new knife set! This was greatly needed and appreciated. Thank you to everyone who helped make my birthday special!


**Back in January I was filmed as an extra for one of the scenes in Fred Claus (I got to see Vince Vaughn!) so I was pretty excited to see if I could find myself in the movie. Well, I saw the scene I was filmed in but didn't see myself. Even after a full day of filming the scene was only about 1 minute long, and much of the stuff filmed didn't even make it in the movie. If you ever go see the movie, there's a scene were Vince Vaughn's character is in a building talking to a guy and he mentions the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, the camera cuts over to look at that building, and there are people walking in front of the building. That's where I would have been. At the end of this scene, Vince Vaughn is standing along the street as a car drives off, that's also where I would have been. I'll have to rent the video sometime and pause it to see if I can find myself in the crowd!

9 comments:

Amy said...

aw, happy birthday! You have a really cute winter jacket, and how AWESOME to be a movie extra! That is on my things to do before I die list. Looks like you had a great day!

Maranda Whittle said...

Happy Birthday!!! You look so pretty and havn't hardely changed at all! And 26 isn't old at all.( I have to say that, cuz I'll be 26 in a couple weeks!) Hey, I saw 2 of your sisters at Kohl's 2 days ago! My sister went to school and graduated with Amy!

Maranda Whittle said...

My sister who know's Amy is, Malisa Arrington.

heather said...

Happy Birthday!! And every woman I've talked to who is in their late 30s or laster say that their 30s were their best years. :)

Cool that you were in a movie! And I'm glad you had a good day!

Stoddard Studios said...

Happy Birthday. I looks like you had SO much fun. It makes me want to move to Chicago. It looks like such a fun place.

I bet when you rent the movie you can spot yourself. It's still cool to say you were filmed, even if you don't appear in it.

That's weird that you have to sign in a different way to see my blog. It may have to do with the e-mail address that I have for you. Maybe I have the wrong one. E-mail me the one you use to sign into the blog you always use. My e-mail address is kaylea_patenge@yahoo.com

amy mo said...

Sounds like you had a fun birthday! Who knows, maybe you saw my communications teacher without knowing it because he went to that thing on Saturday night in Chicago. Oh, did you end up getting the card I sent? I'm hoping you at least got it by monday, but I just wanted to make sure

none said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

hey mel, my email is the same
(the progravix one).

weird!

try again and let me know. i hope there aren't other emails that were returned. sorry this is quick and not the proper punctuation, i've feeding vin and sy is just crazy.

we'll talk later :-)

Heather said...

Happy Birthday! I'm glad you had a lot of fun - I was hoping that you would be in the movie. When we rent it, we'll be pausing it a lot too so we can find you.