The brigada required lots of walking to get to the communities. Here I am with our nurse, local health provider, educator, and others from the community who donated their time and their mules to get our equipment and us to the community of Viche.
Here's an example of some jungle we walked through to get to Viche. It is beautiful and wild. It is also disappearing as more people clear land for their cattle and farms, the only way they know to survive economically in these rural areas.
This is the house where we stayed in the community of Nuevos Horizantes. This is typical of this costal area. The family received us very well with great food (home made chocolate) all grown on their land.
Here's some classic landscape with secondary rainforest on one side and the cattle grazing on the other.
Here's a picture of the little center of the community of Viche. You can see the school, some houses, the soccer field, and the large clearing where people can meet. There's maybe 150 people living in this community, mostly in farms up to an hour away.
This continues to be an exciting experience for us. Melanie survived a week alone in Quito, and I am learning how to manage patients on my own. My Spanish is better than ever and we are having a great adventure.
If anyone would like to donate money to the foundation they can go to http://www.f-h-n.org/ and follow the links to donations.

7 comments:
WOW!! That's sounds so exotic and exciting. The jungle is beautiful!! I'm glad you're enjoying your experience there!
Josh that is awesome! Such a different way of life over there, it is so cool! Glad to hear that all is going well and you guys are doing good! Miss you!!!
That is a wonderful experience you are having. It is so amazing to see how other people actually live in hard circumstances, huh? I am from Mongolia and the life is very much different than from here in the states. I feel like I am a little more connected to other because of my experience growing up in Mongolia. Thanks for sharing your life with us!
Very cool Josh!! You have such a great opportunity to help so many people.
Amazing. You guys are great examples to me.
Bien hecho, maybe somewhere down the line you can have an orthopod and a neurosurgeon, in the form of Berkeley and I, go down to Quito with you.
Melanie! I hope you come back & post soon!! I miss the updates! I hope you're having fun in the jungle & at the beach! Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow!
Post a Comment