This post is a bit overdue, but I'm playing catch-up. A few weeks back the Spanish language school I went to (yes, went to...the school suddenly closed down) had a cooking day. They taught the students how to make llapingachos (pronounced with a "y"). Llapingachos are a typical Ecuadorian dish that originated in the Ecuadorian highlands. They are basically a fried potato and cheese patty. They are very easy to make, and quite tasty!
Here are some patties before (one the right) and after (on the left) they were fried. Some of them had special oil added to them to make them look orange.

Me with some fellow students, Eddie and Sarah. Eddie is an American doctor of internal medicine who is also working at the rural clinic where Josh is working, and Sarah is his wife. It is so nice to have other American friends, and we get along with them great!

Sarah and I hard at work frying up the llapingachos.

This is the how the typical dish is served...with a little lettuce, a salad of tomatoes and onions and cilantro, beets and carrots, and a fried egg. It is often served with sausage and avocado as well, but they didn't serve those this time. It was really yummy!

Owen even came to help out! I never have to worry about what I'll do with Owen when I go places because there are always willing hands to hold him and watch him!


1 comment:
Sounds yummy. I'm so glad you have someone to hang out with!!
Post a Comment