Friday, February 6, 2009

New Fruit

This new fruit is called a Cherimoya,
also known as a Custard Apple in English.
It is native to the Andean Highlands of Ecuador and Peru.
I think it almost looks like a smooth artichoke, and sort of feels like a bumpy avocado.

The flesh is smooth and creamy, and custard like, with lots of black seeds.
The seeds are poisonous if crushed open, and the skin can cause paralysis if eaten.
(I feel bad for the unfortunate people who had to figure these things out!)


It tastes really good.

Mark Twain once called it "the most delicious fruit known to men."
I think it tastes like a combination of a peach, banana, strawberry, and maybe a pineapple.
Some people have said it tastes like commercial bubble gum.
If you come across one of these, try it and decide what you think it tastes like!

10 comments:

Marie said...

Were you nervous to eat it, with all the negatives involved in the seeds and skin? You feel bad for the unfortunate people who had to figure these things out. So funny!

Good for you for trying new things.

Heather said...

Oh my gosh, poisonous and causes paralysis? I don't know if I'd be brave enough to eat it.

Amy said...

So does that mean you have to peel it before you eat it? Do you have to cook it or can you eat it raw? AND, do you just teach the kids to pick out the seeds? (sorry for all the questions!)

heather said...

Who knew? I'd love to try some. I never realized there were so many fruit varieties in the world.

heather said...

wait a second. clearly i didn't read this carefully enough. hold on.

heather said...

oh. yeah. i'd eat it. i think. it sounds good.

Melanie said...

There really are no dangers with eating this fruit! No need to peel first, you just cut it in half, scoop out the raw fruit, and toss the seeds. Simple as that. Kind of like an avacado. You wouldn't eat the skin or seed of an avacado, right? The seeds of this thing are really too big to eat.

amy mo said...

Holy cow! What a dangerous fruit. That must be why it tastes so good.

Debe said...

there are so many interesting foods there!

Anonymous said...

Your combination sounds delicious and yet very interesting. i'd love to try one.