Friday, February 20, 2009

Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day!
or
Feliz Dia de San Valentino!
as they say here in Ecuador.
(I know I'm writing this almost a week late, but oh well.)

We had a pretty enjoyable Valentine's Day this year. We try not to make too big a deal out of it, but we always try to do something nice for the other person. And I am a sucker for little surprises, which Josh isn't too fond of. I know he always feels the Valentine's pressure. But he does a good job and I'm easy to please.
In the morning I decided to make crepes for breakfast. My first time making crepes too. We needed eggs so Josh went out to buy some for me and also came home with the little vase of flowers pictured above. I was happy! Yes, we can buy 2 dozen roses for $2, but why do that on Valentine's Day when we get get them anytime so easily? So this little arrangement was much more impressive. The crepes were yummy...I just wish we had strawberries to go with them but we're not supposed to eat the strawberries here due to risk of getting sick. And I think I impressed Josh with my cooking abilities.
In the afternoon Josh went with Eddie and Sarah and hiked Pichincha, the mountain/volcano just to the west of Quito. We see it everyday from where we live. Towards the top they even hiked in a little snow! (This was a practice hike for the BIG hike they were supposed to do up Cotopaxi two days later, but that hike was snowed out. Cotopaxi is the volcano pictured in our blog header.)
Then in the evening Eddie and Sarah were gracious enough to give up their Valentine's evening to babysit Owen so Josh and I could have a romantic date night at TGIFriday's. It was such a good dinner too! Josh got steak and I had chicken, and it tasted just like back home (except for the lemonade, which was really limeade...I have yet to see a lemon in Ecuador). Plus, they played awesome 80's music! It was a fun evening I'm so happy we were able to spend time together.
I am so grateful for my valentine, for the love of my life! He is amazing and I don't know what I'd do without him.
In honor of Valentine's Day, I'm posting this little questionaire I got tagged for:
1. Where did you meet? ASU. We were in the same institute class. It was my second semester and he had just barely gotten home from his mission. I thought he was cute, but was too nervous to talk to him. Then I saw on a bulletin board that he was looking for a group to travel to Europe with. I had already saved for a trip to Europe that ended up getting cancelled, so I was ecstatic for another trip opportunity, and the opportunity to get to talk to him!
2. What was the first thought that went through your head when you met? I was so nervous! We were both studying in the institute, and I was trying to muster up enough couage to say something to him. When I finally did, he had just gotten up to head to class, so I "ran after him" (as Josh says) and was able to talk to him before his class.
3. Do you remember what he/she was wearing? no, but I'm sure it was just jeans and some t-shirt he probably still owns. I do remember he wore glasses and I liked the way he looked in them.
4. Where was the first time you kissed this person? In front of my house, after a date, April 6th, 2001.
5. Where did you go for your first date? Our first date Josh originally considered just a "hang-out." I don't think he was looking to start dating anyone at the time. We went to the Golfland castle to play air hockey, then drove around Tempe and Mesa in his nice Oldsmobile (because he hadn't planned anything else), and ended by going to Neilson's Frozen Custard. This is where we realized we both had the same favorite flavor: oreo with strawberry. I wasn't sure if I should pay for myself since it was just a "hang-out," but he paid and then in my mind it became our first date.
6. How long did you know this person before you became a couple? It was about 4 months I guess.
7. How did he/she ask you out? I actually asked Josh out first, because I asked him to an institute dance. He kindly rejected me, because he had been asked by someone else. He made up for it by calling me the next week and asking me to "hang out."
8. How did he propose to you? It was the day after Thanksgiving 2001. He took me to a park to eat turkey leftovers that he packed. Then he blindfolded me, drove me to the temple, sat me on a bench on the east side of it, got down on one knee, unblindfolded me, and asked me to be his wife.
9. Do you and this person have kids together? One adorable little boy
10. Have you ever broken the law with this person? Um, nothing intentionally. Just little things like speeding, bringing produce into foreign countries. Things like that.
11. When was the first time you realized that you liked this person? I had a crush on him the first time I saw him, and realized I liked him after we started talking about our Europe trip.
12. Do you trust this person? 100%.
13. Do you see her/him as your partner in your future? always and forever.
14. What is the best gift she/he gave you? my wedding ring and all it symbolized, and our little baby.
15. What is one thing He/She does that gets on your nerves? only one? ha ha. well, currently it's staying up til the early hours of the morning playing his computer game.
16. Where do you see each other 15 years from now? Josh will finally have a real job, we will be homeowners, hopefully settled in Arizona, with another kid or two.
17. What causes the most arguments? misunderstandings, and medical-related things.
18. How long have you been together? almost 8 years
19. Are you married?
almost 7 years
20. Who do you tag? nobody, but you can do this if you want!

5 comments:

Amy said...

Sweet post!

You know, I still get confused about the whole paying thing in dating. I never knew when to pay for myself and when to let them pay for me, or rather I never knew what to expect. Once I moved away from home I just carried money in my pocket whenever I went out because of all the ambiguity about 'dating' versus 'hanging out'.

Andrea said...

Thanks for doing the tag. It's fun to read about other people's love stories. Sounds like you had a great Valentines Day.

Debe said...

sounds like you had a great day! I really enjoy reading your blog.

Amy said...

You are getting quite the nice tan Mel! We won't recognize you when you get back! I didn't know that you were the one to go after Josh first! Would have guessed the other way around. Way to be a go getter! It sure payed off.

Melanie said...

It's funny people think I look tan, because I still feel very pasty white here!