Friday, October 19, 2007
Working Together
For the past two weeks Josh has been doing his hospital rotation in labor and delivery, one week of night shift and one week of day shift. That means he and I had the privilege of working together for a few days this week!! It was fun, and probably the only time in our lives we'll work together. :) He got to see and experience a lot, including all the craziness we get at the University of Chicago. He saw the good, the bad, and the sad things that go along with having a baby. He helped deliver several babies and got to scrub in for a couple c-sections. He scrubbed in on a c-section I was the circulator nurse for and it was so fun for me to see him standing next to the surgeons wearing his sterile gown and bloody gloves, all doctor-like. He learned he doesn't like surgery as much as he thought he would, and he still doesn't want to be an obgyn. In fact, after his first day in L&D he said "I don't know how you can stand doing what you do, IT'S GROSS!!" Yes, that's true. Having a baby isn't the prettiest thing. It was fun that he was able to meet the people I work with and could see what I do at work and what I have to put up with (it's not always easy being a nurse). But he learned a lot, and one of my co-workers gave him such a nice compliment when she said he'd make a great doctor because he was so nice to the patients and actually talked to them like a person. I'll have to agree!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
What a great posting. Having a baby is gross isn't it? But other areas of hospitals are gross too, like when an obese person's skin is disintegrating in the rolls of fat, or a kid projective vomits all over you, or just plain incontinence...at least most women in labor are in their right minds. You know what is weird? I always thought I'd like taking care of men more than women, but I always seem to choose female patients, there is just something that turns me off to the guys. I haven't figured it out yet.
oh yeah---we're not allowed to practice injections on each other. All the nursing schools I've heard of have the students practice on each other, but not ours. So the first injection on a human I ever did in my life was today on a patient. He didn't seem to mind! I think we're not allowed because there are so many gay people in our program, and CA has weird laws about divulging blood diseases and privacy...so you could have a nurse who was HIV+ and not be told. Interesting huh?
you two are my favorite couple!
That is so cool! It would be fun to work together if he ever opened a practice. Although I'm not sure I could work with Brent. We would butt heads too much. It would be neat to see him in action though! I'm sure your hubby will make an excellent Doc no matter what field he picks!
Janelle
That is so cool!! Not many couples have that kind of opportunity!
Now he will appreciate what you do better! I think Chris needs to take a little time in the ICU with me. Labor and Delivery is gross......but ICU can get pretty dang gross too.
Wow Mel!
That is an experience of a lifetime. There is so many times when you can each explain to each other what your job is like but they will never really know. Now he honestly does know what your job is like. I'm glad you guys got to do that. What is Josh thinking of specializing in now (since he doesn't want OBGYN)?
That's what i look for in doctor's {the ones that can talk to you like a person and actually remember you the next visit). That's so awesome that you got to work together!!
That sounds like fun! Not the gross part of it, but the working together part. I didnt know you were a nurse for c-sections. Do you help with the surgery? Does josh have an idea of what he wants to specialize in? Thats cute that josh said "its gross" haha. As for your question about devin getting into nursing school or not, he didnt. Hes gonna try a couple other ways to get in though. One is through signing up through banner, and another is applying for the bilingual program at phoenix college. Hes gonna try to apply for both of those the end of november.
That is SO awesome that you got to work together! Yeah, I bet it was cool to see your husband all doctor-like. Cool. All this nurse talk between you and Amy is making me want to be one. It's sounds cool.
Post a Comment