Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Fun with the scanner

I recently acquired a new printer/copier/scanner/faxer machine, given to us for free by someone in our ward who no longer needed it. I was super excited because for the past few months I had already been talking to Josh, trying to convince him this item was a necessity, rather than a frivolous want.

Well, when we inherited it we knew the ink cartridges were in need of some cleaning first before we could print, but after several attempts to clean them per the manual's specific cleaning instructions, buying new ink cartridges, and spending a long conversation on the phone with a technical support person, we've realized something inside the machine itself is broken and is in need of repair. Since we payed nothing for this machine and still have a regular printer that functions perfectly fine, we are not going to invest any money in trying to get if fixed. It also means we can't copy anything, and we don't have a phone line to fax things, so that leaves only the scanner function working. But that's ok!! That's the function I was most excited about anyway. We got it at just the right time to scan in our ultrasounds pictures so you could all have the opportunity to "ooh" and "ahh" at our little miracle peanut. :)
I also wanted to try scanning in old pictures I have, so I looked through a photo book from my younger years and found several pictures of birthday. I figured this would be a fun place to start. So, thanks to my new scanner you get to enjoy some fun, but not always attractive, pictures of me through the years. I think I'm pretty brave to do this. No laughing allowed.


The Original Birthday:
November 17th, 1981
10:43pm
8lbs 2oz, 21 inches long
Desert Samaritan Hospital, Mesa, AZ
(yes, I know the stats from memory)

3rd birthday:
we're at Pioneer Park in Mesa

4th birthday:
I was in love with cabbage patch kids at this time,
so I had a cabbage patch cake and I also got a cabbage patch!


5th birthday:

6th birthday:

8th birthday:
I don't think I had a birthday party this year because we celebrated my baptism.
I was so proud to have my own set of scriptures.


9th birthday:
We're at Reed Park in Mesa. This is when the girly parties started!
All these girls stayed over for a sleep over too.
My poor parents!!
(yes, it's November and we're still in shorts. Love it.)
(I'm the one with the huge plaid shorts)


10th birthday:
Remember, I said no laughing!!
11th birthday:
This ended up being smack dab in the middle of 5th grade science camp!
But it was fun to have my friends around.
Sorry to Maranda and Malinda for your pictures ending up on here!
(I'm wearing the hot pink sweat suit. I loved that outfit!)


13th birthday:
entering teenagehood
this pretty much sums up how nerdy I was as a teen.
(man, my family had that brown table for a lot of years!!)


26th birthday:
Ah, finally a little more decent looking.
Guess I've changed some over the years!


I know there were several other memorable birthdays, I just don't have pictures from them. The most fun birthday I had that I can remember is when my friends threw me a surprise party, which really was a complete surprise! They even passed out flyers/invitations at school without me noticing. And the time when my friends made me a shirt that said something like "it's my birthday, wish me happy birthday" and made me wear it to school all day. Embarrassing. Another fun one was when there was a meteor shower the night of my birthday and Josh and I went out to the desert to watch it. Talk about being able to make a bunch of birthday wishes on shooting stars! I hope I have many more memorable birthdays to come!

13 comments:

Amy said...

Melanie, you're so brave!!! I refuse to show anyone my scrapbooks because I look like such a nerd! You're a hot model in comparison, trust me. Love the New Kids t-shirt in the 9th birthday shot! (there is something about style in the 80s and early 90s that the rising generations will just never understand!

amy mo said...

Whatever! Your pictures are way better than mine. I pretty much look ridiculous in all of mine! & we've had a scanner for a long time and just yesterday I began using it.

Oh, & you know a lot of Amy's. I'm never the first Amy to post

Amy said...

Love the pictures Mel! How fun for you to have a scanner now! -Amy B

Laurie said...

I was just thinking that - you know a lot of Amy's!!

Cute pictures! (Seriously!!) And I loved seeing people that I haven't thought of for a LONG time!!

Maranda Whittle said...

Oh no, you put the 5th grade picture on here! I love looking at old pictures, they're awesome! I know most of those girls in your 13th birthday picture, how funny!

Scott, Emilie, and Sterling said...

Oh my goodness! Such exciting news, girl! I know I am behind on blogging, again, but I am so happy for you both!! We had a somewhat difficult time getting pregnant, as well -- nothing like your story, but it doesn't happen super fast for us and so I can at least partially relate with you. I can't even say how happy I am for you guys and I'm just grinning as I write this! Your ultra sound photos are so cute!! And I really enjoyed looking at your childhood photos as well -- so cute! So, ho are you feeling, then? Any sickness, or are you doing pretty good? I hope all is well, and I'll talk to you later. xoxo

shelly jones said...

Melanie-
Hey your blog is great and Congrats on your baby news!! your mom said you will know what you are having in a couple of weeks, how exciting!!! you are going to be a great mama, take care!

Shelly

heather said...

Well I hope you have many more wonderful birthdays too!! :) And those were some fun pictures...of course I recognize half the kids at half the parties. In fact...you are my longest -I'm still in contact with- friend, crazy huh. You probably deserve an award for that. ;) heehehe. [sigh]

Lyndi said...

How fun! Your pictures are so cute. (Only, I don't know which one you are in some of them) It's fun to see what you looked like as a little girl, always adorable!

Malinda said...

That 5th grade science picture was crazy!! We were so silly. Happy Birthday!!!

Marc, Miranda, Maycie and Nash said...

I have a huge question...do you still keep in contact with Heather Turley? I loved her. She was so much fun! Let me know I would love to get back in contact with her. (why I ask is she is in one of your birthday pictures)

Cassie said...

Wow I just read your post of the pregnancy, that's so exciting! I had no idea you had to go through so much. What a blessing, I'm sure you guys are gonna rock as parents. I like the post your husband left about you too. That was really sweet. What a lucky little baby to be coming to great parents like you two.

Bryan and Elisha said...

I love your pictures! I was so excited to see the news that you're expecting! Congratulations! We are enjoying California a lot, but we really miss Chicago and all of our friends there.
-Elisha