Friday, July 25, 2008

The Aveda Institute

Ever since high school I have frequently gone to beauty schools to get my hair done. The main reason is because getting a hair cut and highlighted is expensive, and I'm cheap. I've been to several beauty schools in AZ with varying experiences, including some really good ones and some really bad ones.

Since moving to Chicago it's been difficult to find a hair salon I like that doesn't cost and arm and a leg. During our first year here I tried out the Aveda Institute and have gone there a handful of times now. So far I have been pleased every time and have never had a bad experience. Today I went for a trim and was reminded why I like them.

First of all, it's a really nice modern place, it's big, it's clean, the students are friendly, it's popular (there's always a line of people trying to get walk-in appointments), and the instructors are good. I've been to some schools where the instructor simply looks at your hair before signing the student off, but at the Aveda Institute the instructors actually inspect, measure, comb through, give tips, and fix any loose ends and stray pieces. So you don't leave with a bad haircut.

Secondly, I like them because before they wash your hair they give you a nice head and shoulder massage with aromatherapy massage oil! SO relaxing. Today I used a blue minty oil that slightly tingled the scalp and felt oh so nice. Then the shampoo was also nice and relaxing, and they make your hair smell really good.

As the girl was scrubbing my scalp I was thinking about how much a difference the shampoo experience can make on your overall opinion of a place. I've had shampoos where the chair was so uncomforable and my neck was strained I couldn't wait for them to be done, where water was splashed in my eyes or face or down my back, where the conditioner wasn't rinsed out all the way, where they were rough and fast, where the water was cold, and where a large busted smelly women repeatedly bumped into my face. And many of these were at reputable, non-beauty school places! It doesn't matter if the cut or color they gave me was great, if the shampoo experience was bad I was not going back. For a good shampoo you should be comfortable and relaxed to the point where you want to fall asleep. And a nice head massage is definitely preferred!

So if you are brave enough to try a beauty school and not super-duper picky, I would recommend the Aveda Institute. If you want a drastic cut or something very particular, it might not be the best place, but if you're in search of a simple trim or color, it's great!

3 comments:

Amy said...

I love great beauty schools! I agree---I like it when necks don't get strained and instructors make sure stray strands get trimmed. What a great find---will they have any in Ecuador you think? :)

Andrea said...

ahhh! A scalp massage sounds really nice right now. Too bad I'm moving soon. I could have tried them out.

Janet, Aaron, & Ashton said...

I wish there was one close to my house! I love my hair girl but I am looking to find somebody less expensive and closer to my house! I give you props for trying it out & I am glad they did a good job!:)