Wednesday, February 25, 2009

More New Fruit

I know it seems like I have nothing else to talk about other than fruit, but it's just because there are so many different varieties here! I want to be able to remember all the fun fruits we ate in Ecuador.

These little guys are called uvias, or ground cherries in English. Other than the name, they have nothing in common with cherries.
They are orange and small- about the size of a cherry tomato- and grow in these cute little paper husks, or "tents" as I call them.

They grow on a bush similar to a tomato plant and resemble a tomato, but taste like a tomato crossed with a grape. They have a sweet, almost tart tast to them. It's very unusual.
I like them okay, but can only eat a few at a time. The lady I bought them from at the market gave me a large bag full, and I doubt I'll be able to finish them all!

4 comments:

The Thompson's said...

Wow! That looks like the neatest fruit! I love reading your posts about the different fruits. I had no idea there were so many different kinds or fruit throughout the wolrd.

Anonymous said...

no kidding-there are more fruits out there than i thought ever existed! i love hearing and reading about your adventures-it all sounds like so much fun!!!

Unknown said...

yummy!!

Lindsay said...

How fun to get to try all the new fruit!

My Dr I think only didn't tell me because the second he did it went even higher. He was trying to not stress me out more than I was just know I was delivering so early. I hadn't had it with any of the others but with Chase I had HB the whole way though. I am so glad to have had a Dr that honored his preisthood.