Monday, April 20, 2009

Question of the Week

Josh is in Lima, Peru this week for a Fulbright conference, so Owen and I are just hanging out together here in Quito. I am a bit bored, so I thought I would do something new.

I thought it might be fun to post a question each week that people can answer if they want. These questions will be about everyday things. Sometimes while I'm doing something I find myself wondering if other people do things similar to me or not. You know, I wonder if I'm "normal" or "average," or if there really is a normal.

I promise I'm not trying to compare myself to anyone by asking these questions, and I won't judge anyone or their answers! It's purely for fun. So answer truthfully and honestly. I will!


Question of the week:
Do you make your bed everyday?
My answer:
Usually, yes. I'd say 95% of the time.
But I haven't always been good at doing it! Since being in Ecuador I think I make my bed more than I ever have. Maybe it's because I don't have to get up really early for work or school, so I feel like I actually have time to make it up nicely. In Chicago, I would make the bed maybe half the days of the week. And that's probably because I got up really early 3 days a week for work! If Josh is the last one out of bed he'd sometimes make the bed. If we were in a hurry, making the bed often meant throwing the comforter over the sheets to sort of cover it up. If company were coming over, we'd always make a point to make the bed before they got there! (our bedroom door was usually open and thus our bed visible.)
I like having a nicely made bed, something about it just makes me happy! I hope to keep up my good bed-making habits.

ok, your turn to answer. :)

17 comments:

Amy said...

Fun idea. I probably make my bed 80% of the time. When we both worked probably never, I'll admit.

Laurie said...

I NEVER make the bed! Maybe like twice. Ever. I don't see the point. You can't see any part of my bedroom from any living space, so nobody will ever see it unless I invite them down that hallway. And anybody who would go already knows I'm not a make-my-bed type of person. :)

Amy said...

I made my bed every day in high school. I made my bed once a week in college. I think I make it once every couple weeks now, probably when I wash the sheets. And yes, I just admitted that I don't wash my sheets every week. :D

Anonymous said...

Yes I make my bed about 90% of the time! I agree with you it just make me happy (my husband too!) Plus the whole room just looks 100 times better!
Owen is soooooooooo cute!

Kristy said...

I think that you're right; a nicely made bed makes you happy! But I'm not a bed maker. Our bed is hardly ever made. I always make it if the bug guy comes, but that's about the only consistent time. It seems like I always have to get out of bed before I want to, and leaving it undone gives me the opportunity to slip back into it, which honestly never happens. But once I'm out of it, I don't usually come back to it until I'm ready for the day to end; just doesn't seem like I have the time to make it. And sometimes I make the girls take a nap. Then we all snuggle on my bed and they like to sleep under the covers anyways. So why make it when they're going to mess it up anyways? But I do really love coming into my room and seeing it made.

acandiedapple said...

I make the bed 100% of the time but just because Deebo sleeps there during the day and I HATE the idea of dog hair on my sheets. It does make me really happy to see my bed made. I feel the same way about having clean counters in the kitchen.

heather said...

I cannot sleep in an unmade bed because I always have to have the covers just so before I can fall asleep, so I make the bed everyday. Sometimes not until minutes before crawling into it, but at some point every day I make the bed.

Danielle said...

We're probably 50/50. Although for us, "making" the bed just involves pulling the sheet and comforter up and straightening them (no tucking involved). That's good enough for me.

Emryn said...

I have to say I make the bed about 5 minutes before Nate gets home, which usually consists of pulling up the bedspread. When I lived in my studio in CA, I made it all the time because it was right there. I usually never go into my room once I leave it in the morning and if I do, I usually pull up the covers then.

Marie said...

Fun idea Melanie! I am a bed maker, and I'm proud to say I've turned my husband into a bed maker too. (He usually makes the bed now, as he's the last one out and I'm gone at the gym.) I could count on 1 hand the times that our bed has gone unmade in the last 4 years, and even those few times it still gets made before I get into it. I don't like sleeping with pre-messed sheets and blankets.

Whitney said...

I'm embarrassed to give the percentage but just know that it's low. I don't know why - in fact, I struggled with it growing up too. My mom was always on my case to make my bed. Now that I have a king size bed, it's even more daunting! :)

Amy Legler said...

It comes and goes....I do really good at making the bed for a while, and then it gets thrown to the side and I'm really bad at it. If it does get made though, its not usually till late morning or sometime in the afternoon though.
CUTE idea to ask questions!

Katy, Bill and Easton said...

I am horrible about making the bed. I have all of the decorative pillows and everything but the stay on the ground. The only time I make the bed is right after I wash the sheets. Once Easton is older I will make it to be a good example cause I want him to make his bed. Ha!

Valerie said...

It depends on how you define "making the bed". I usually at least pull up the covers, ut do I always make sure everything is nice and even? Mmm...half the time I guess. I don't know why I don't do it more often because I feel much better when the bed is made and all my clothes are put away.

Kate said...

yeah, I almost never make my bed. Although I do like the feeling of getting into a bed that is made, I feel cozier in a slept in bed. I make it when people might see my bedroom though. Maybe someday, I'll make my bed regularly.

Heather said...

I go in streaks. Sometimes I'm a loyal bed maker, making it everyday. Other times, it doesn't get made for a week or so.

RHulsey said...

nope, Connor and I play on the bed a lot, so I try and justify it by saying it would just get messed up. But who am I kidding? I have never been a bed maker.