Our first morning in Albuquerque we got up super early before the sun was up and braved the very chilly morning to see the International Balloon Fiesta. This is the largest festival of this kind in the world, and it lasted for a week. I had heard about it before, but didn't know exactly what was involved. Well, let me just say that it was quite spectacular!!!
Starting at 7am as the sun was rising, a mass ascension took place- 600 hot air balloons inflated and lifted off the ground into the sky. It was so fun to see all the bright colors and fun shapes of the balloons. The coolest part was we got to walk around the field where the balloons were set up, so we were right next to them when they inflated and lifted!! It was so fun to be surrounded by hundreds of hot air balloons, and then to see the sky filled with balloons. We were lucky it was good weather because the mass ascension was canceld today-the last day of the fiesta-due to too much wind.
I took about 100 pictures, so there are a bunch here because it was hard to narrow them down.
Sunday, October 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
That looks totally awesome! I bet that Owen loved it too!
How did Owen like the balloons....?? I know how crazy Cooper goes when he sees one by the registers in the grocery I can't even imagine what his excitement would have been like at a balloon festival. I hope to make it to KY soon during Derby for the balloon festival during that time.
I love hot air balloons. They used to have a hot air balloon "race" here every year that lasted for two or three days, until one got hung up on a power line and a law suit resulted. I still miss those races and waking up to the sound of the hiss of the burners as the balloons passed overhead.
How cool! Reminds me of the Wizard of Oz, only I'm not sure why, there was only one balloon there!
I LOVE your family photos. Esp. love the one of Owen and his big blue eyes! She did a great job.
How you are enjoying NM!
What an awesome festival! I haven't seen that many balloons before. I thought the 4th of July hot air balloon fest in Provo was big, but it doesn't even compare. I hope you have fun in Albuquerque. It is a lot warmer than it is here. I love your family pictures!! Owen looks adorable and I am glad he cooperated. We need to get some family pictures done too!
wow. that's a LOT of balloons. fun!
Post a Comment