Yesterday I got my first ticket ever. It was a parking ticket. Let's just say I was so bummed!!! I thought 12+ years of driving without a single ticket was pretty good.
I'm taking a photography class on Thursday evenings this month up on the north side, and this was my second class. I parked on the street right in front of the building and thought nothing of it mostly because I was in a hurry, though I should have been more conscientious about it because this part of town is full of metered parking. Both last week and this week I didn't notice a parking meter box (Chicago has a new meter system where there's only 1 meter box for the block, you pay at it, then put your receipt in your dash) and since it was in the evening I assumed the metered period would have been over anyway.
Needless to say, I wasn't thrilled when I came out to my car and saw the dreaded orange envelop tucked under my windshield wiper. It's only $50 (still a lot though!), but I heard there may be a way for me to get out of it...first ticket forgiveness or something. I'll have to look into it. Otherwise I'll just pay it. I know it could be worse- today I saw a man walk out to his car, which he obviously hadn't driven in a few days because it was still covered in snow, and he had 5 or 6 tickets waiting for him. Ouch!
Friday, February 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
How frustrating! I think we had one parking ticket in HP, it had something to do with street cleaning, and we were a little annoyed. Ours was only about 20 bucks though.
That's cool your taking a photography class!
Well at least you made it 12 years.
I still remember my first ticket. I got pulled over for having expired tags. I was horrified and just started crying and couldn't stop. (I was so embarrassed) Unfortunately I've become accustomed to the occasional ticket (I'm guessing about 6 by now) and though I'm still upset when it happens it's just one of those things (like taxes). Hope you can get "off" since it's your first. Tell Owen thanks for the cute Valentines card. Was that really his hand???
Chicago is brutal with their tickets. I wish I could say that I've only received one, but alas, I would be lying. We've received tickets for a crack in our windshield (which didn't obstruct vision), street cleaning...the list goes on. I can't wait to leave Chicago parking behind.
Post a Comment