Thursday, January 21, 2010

Around our neighborhood

I love our Chicago neighborhood! It is old, diverse, historic, and charming. I just love going for walks in the neighborhood, and I never tire of looking at all the different buildings. There is always something fun to see or new to notice. I want to remember some of the details, so that's why I'm posting these pictures.

Hyde Park has lots of these three story walk up buildings. We used to live in one and I loved it. Many are nearly 100 years old, and they almost always have wood floors and crown molding. Many of them have been refurbished and made more comfortable. It's just no fun if you live on the 3rd floor.


These are some of my favorite houses in Hyde Park. They look like doll houses to me (they look even better in person). Whenever Josh and I walk by them we discuss which one(s) are our favorites. I wouldn't mind living in one of these at all! Too bad they probably cost a fortune.


I think these would be considered row houses, where each house touches the neighboring one. They have stairs leading up to the front door, and I think they're pretty cute.


There are several new buildings in the neighborhood, and they're really nice. If we were to live in Chicago longer term, I think it would be fun to live in a new condo.


I can't forget about all the alleys. Lots of alleys between all of the buildings.


I just thought these icicles were cool.

Kenwood is a neighborhood that borders Hyde Park, notable for all its huge mansions!! I love driving around this neighborhood. Notable people who have lived here: Muhammad Ali, Louis Farrakhan, Leopold and Loeb, and Barack Obama.


Hyde Park is quite diverse racially, ethnically, and religiously. This is a prominent Jewish synagogue in the neighborhood. It's also right across the street from Barack Obama's old house.


I don't think I've ever mentioned on my blog that I live in what is now President Obama's old neighborhood. His old house is just a few blocks from where we live now. We were in Ecuador during the election, but I heard it was pretty crazy around here during that time! Everyone knows he's taken up residence at a big White House in DC nearly a year ago, but you'd think he still lives here by the security still around! The street and sidewalks surrounding the house are all blocked off, and there is an unmarked security car parked out front 24 hours a day. I just feel bad for all the people who live on that street who have to deal with the security regularly.


This picture gives a clearer view of his house, it's the building on the left.


Another thing I love about Hyde Park is that we're close enough to downtown to get there quickly and pretty easily, yet far enough away that it's somewhat quiet and less crowded. It's also less busy than other popular neighborhoods north of downtown. Here's the view from the top floor of our apartment building. How I would have LOVED to have this view from our apartment! Oh well. I surely will miss seeing the Chicago skyline when we leave Chicago.




Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Andrea said...

Love the neighborhood photos. I recognize where you took most of them. Oh, how I miss Hyde Park.

Shelly said...

WOW what an amazing view from your apartment!

Catherine said...

Aw, I miss Hyde Park! Except that I went for a walk yesterday and it was in the 60s, so I didn't even need a jacket. I guess I didn't miss Chicago at all right then.

Danielle said...

So your picture of those "new buildings" caught my interest because one of them was up for rent (the one on the end at the right side of your picture) a few of years ago.

Max and I went to look at it, and we LOVED it. It would've been an amazing place to live, but we decided spending $1800/mo on rent (plus utilities) wasn't a very wise decision at that point in our lives. :)

Amy said...

What a fun place to live! I think old houses that have been well-cared for so they're still safe to live in would be so fun, but yeah, too bad they're probably the cost of an arm and a leg. Crazy about the Obama security---that would stink to be his next door neighbor.

RHulsey said...

That is a really neat neighborhood. So much character. What a fun experience to have.

Amy said...

I love it! Makes me want to come there before you leave! Don't know that that will be able to happen though :( At least we can see pictures :) Hope you are doing well!

Amanda P said...

Melanie, I just happened upon your blog. I love this post about Hyde Park! I love it here too!

Heather said...

Some of these pictures look like you went back in time. I love it.