Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Another Week in La Y

Well, we survived another week in La Y! Josh was able to see a decent amount of patients, not too many. This time we were there with another American doctor, Eddie and his wife, Sarah. It was really nice to have more people to hang out with, and especially for me to have English speakers around. The local people are really nice, I just can't converse much with them. Life is definitely slow in La Y, but I manage to find enough things to do.
We were there over Thanksgiving, and us Americans did the best we could to make a Thanksgiving dinner. There was no turkey or stuffing or pumpkin pie involved (we tried to get a turkey), and it actually ended up being a strickly vegetarian dinner complete with mashed potatoes, green beans, tomato cucumber salad, a bean soup/gravyish dish, and bread. Oh ya, and rice. There is always rice. Someone also made a delicious apple cake!! That was the best part. It was definitely one of our most memorable Thanksgivings. Being out in the jungle with so little made it so much more meaningful for me. You can't help but recognize everything you have to be thankful for. For the most simple things.....
a hot shower
(most the people who live here probably have never had a hot shower)
a bed with a nice mattress
running water
flushing toilets
washing machines
paved roads
carpet
can openers
non-stick skillets
peanut butter
I truly have been blessed with all I have. I have so much! The USA is such a privileged country. And most importantly, I am so thankful for my family, for Josh and Owen, and for all the fun times we have together and for the time we have to spend here in Ecuador. It really is the opportunity of a lifetime!
Ok, here are some pictures of the week:
Our mode of transportation to La Y. We're on this charter bus for 5 hours until we get the the city of Quininde.

Most of the time I look like the lady behind Josh.

Once we're in Quininde, we catch a ride on this truck called a Ranchera. Then it's a bumpy 1.5 hour drive into La Y. It's amazing how many people can fit in/on this thing!
Lots of bananas hanging off the back porch of the clinic. It was so fun to just go out and grab a banana whenever we wanted one! Bananas are one thing that are always plentiful.

I got a spa pedicure! There is a local girl who does. She brings a basin of water to soak your feet in and everything! She had 3 posters full of different designs to choose from. All this for only $1!! She was really good and painted detailed flowers on all my toes. I gave her a good tip and paid her $1.50. This surely would have cost me $30-$50 back home!

On Thanksgiving day we were out for a walk and saw this turkey at someones house. We hadn't been able to find a turkey to eat, so we were excited to see this big guy! Josh explained to them the American Thanksgiving tradition and he asked if they would be willing to sell it to us to eat. They looked at us for a second, then turned us down. They said it was their pet! Oh well. How many people can say they saw a LIVE turkey on Thanksgiving???

Our Thanksgiving dinner spread. It really was tasty! Clockwise from left: Josh, Aruya-a Columbian woman who is a volunteer teacher at one of the communities (she enjoyed our American tradition), Joanna-a peace corps volunteer who has lived at the clinic for about 14 months, Sarah, and Eddie.

One night this chicken was really interested in what we were doing and flew up on Josh! There are chickens running around everywhere, they just don't usually get real close to us. Owen wasn't bothered at all and here he looks somewhat interested in the chicken.

This weird looking thing is a jackfruit. It's huge, being the largest tree fruit in the world! It's really sticky when you cut it open, but it tastes good when eaten in small quantities. It's very very sweet, and has a very very strong odor.
Josh brought his guitar and often found time to practice. (he's been taking guitar lessons in Quito)
Owen got some maracas so he can play in Josh's mariachi band.

We found a few little critters.

This grasshopper wasn't so little. It was a pretty cool looking guy! Josh picked it up to move it back to a safe habitat, and it kicked him hard! My rule is don't mess with the big bugs. Or any bugs for that matter.

La Y has beautiful sunsets! This picture doesn't even do it justice.

10 comments:

Laurie said...

WOW!! ... That's all I've got to say... Oh, except, HOW CUTE is that picture of Owen with a butterfly on his head!!

Brenda said...

what a great Thanksgiving!! The beach resort you went to looked awesome!! We still haven't made it to any beaches. I loved your pictures of the critters you have encountered. We have encountered quite a few weird and surprisingly large ones too.

Shelly said...

I have to say this again I AM SO JEALOUS!! I wish I could go back and visit my mission!! Its amazing how much you do become grateful for after living in a third world country. I thought I knew what humility was before my mission but the people in El Salvador taught what true humility was.

Shelly said...

I have to say this again I AM SO JEALOUS!! I wish I could go back and visit my mission!! Its amazing how much you do become grateful for after living in a third world country. I thought I knew what humility was before my mission but the people in El Salvador taught what true humility was.

Anonymous said...

Wow, amazing! Those a great pictures and details. I always look forward to your posts because it looks so neat. You are so right. What an experience! Miss you. Owen is getting cuter and cuter.

Heather said...

SO awesome!! and a $1 pedicure, wow! I'd love to try some of that fruit. Anyway you can bring some home? haha

Seriously, you have a good idea. We should encourage Owen and my baby to be boyfriend and girlfriend. If they got married, we could do combined family things together! FUN

Amy said...

Looks like you are having fun! I am sure this is Josh's dream coming true!

amy mo said...

Cool pictures!! Sounds like you had fun. Too bad Owen won't remember it when he's older, but at least he'll have documentation of it.

Amy said...

Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

Most of the time I look like the lady behind Josh.
This was my favorite line in your post, I laughed out loud. Do you think insect and fruit size are correlated?

Cassie said...

I'm just happy it was the "cute" butterfly on Owen's head and not the
giant spider or grasshopper. I'm sure one day Owen will be impressed so keep up the pictures! Love ya and miss ya all!