Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Beaches of Ecuador

Before Josh had to be back to the clinic to work his week for the month, we decided to take a trip up to the beaches of Ecuador. The first place we stopped was Atacames. It's a popular resort town, and we heard it can be pretty busy and noisy so we only stayed one night. The place we stayed was really nice. It was right on the beach.

It was a nice looking beach and lots of people were out. We didn't stay in Atacames long though because we were trying to get to our next destination, so we didn't swim here.

These funny little carts are the taxi's of the town. They are everywhere. They're basically just a motorcycle with some seats attached to either the front or back. We rode in one to get to our hotel. We didn't have to go very far though.

Our final desitation was the town of Same (pronounced saw-may). We stayed at the Casa Blanca resort. The parents of the German doctor who founded the rural clinic own a condo here, and we were able to stay in it. The resort is HUGE with several different smaller villas, each with their own private swimming pool. This is the view from our balcony.

Just a small section of the whole resort. It is famous for its mediterranean architecture.

Owen was ready to hit the beach!

Owen's first time in the ocean! He didn't seem to mind it, but he wasn't overly enthusiastic either. I can't wait to take him to the beach when he's a little older and can really enjoy it.

It was pretty cloudy and windy out. Not the best beach weather, but we still enjoyed ourselves. We constructed this little shelter for Owen so he would be protected from the elements.

Owen's first time swimming. He wasn't quite sure what to think.


I didn't take pictures at dinner, but both nights we at at a restaurant right on the beach that served fresh fish. They typical dish for the regions is "pescado encocado" or fish with a coconut sauce. It was really good!

3 comments:

Laurie said...

That hotel is SO cool!! And Owen is growing up so fast!!

heather said...

Its so strange to see you in a swimsuit, playing on the beach when its so cold here!!

It looks like you are all enjoying everything you can in your new area. I'm glad it was a butterfly on Owen's head and not the spider! :) That is one thing I am liking about Utah -there aren't near as many bugs here as there were in Arizona. Maybe its the cold factor??

ANyway -you look great! I'm glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving and now I think I'll go eat a banana. :)

Heather said...

That is so beautiful! How are the beaches there? clean? warm? I'd love to be there with you!