Sunday, December 21, 2008

Otavalo

Friday we headed up to the town of Otavalo, about 2.5 hours to the north of Quito. Otavalo is famous for it's large Saturday market, the largest and most popular market in Ecuador, and perhaps in South America. Otavalo is known for it's textiles and weavings, and everything is made my the local indiginous people.

We spent Friday afternoon at Parque Condor and Cascada Peguche (a waterfall). We were able to see three condors, the largest flying bird in the world. This bird is nearly extinct, with only 70 existing in Ecuador. Parque Codor is a preserve/rehab center where various types of birds have been rescued and are being taken care of. The condor is such and awesome bird! It really is huge.
This condor, Andres, was nice enough to give us a little show. His wingspan was slightly wider than my armspan, and he's only a juvenile!

This is Cascada Peguche, just outside of Otavalo. It was in a beautiful forest! We really enjoyed it here.


Saturday we woke up early to head to the markets. First we went to the live animal market where people to go buy animals for food...cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, rabbits, and even guinea pigs. There were TONS of people, it was quite a sight to see.


Then we went to the artesian markets. So many neat things, so many bright colors.


This is the traditional dress of the indiginous women.



All the women carry everything on their backs....babies, food, boxes, you name it. I felt a little funny carrying Owen in the Baby Bjorn while all the local people carry their kids on their backs tied on with a simple sheet! I wonder if it's comfortable...


There is also a food market where all sorts of interesting things are sold.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

The market there is very interesting. What experiences you are having! By the way, I've decided that all I want for Christmas is more cute videos of Owen. I've already watched the ones you have more times than I can count.

Brenda said...

The market is very similar to those in Guatemala. And yes, the sheet used as a baby carrier is very comfortable, if you tie it right (that is the secret)!! I think you should try it out!! Don't you love all the dead animals for sale?? Yesterday, we saw a water buffalo sacrifice. Pretty gross!!!

Amy said...

wow, you guys are seeing so many cool things!! There are some condors here in northern california, but they are few and far between...and when they fly they look huge so I can only imagine how huge they are in real life on the ground in front of you! That marketplace was awesome, thanks for taking pictures so we could see as well :)