Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Root Beer!

Josh and I love root beer. We love it plain and in root beer floats. Josh's drink of choice when out to eat is usually root beer. I love it with pizza. We don't usually buy or drink much soda, but will make an exception for root beer.

When moving to Ecuador we figured we'd have to give up root beer since it seems to be solely a North American thing, excluding Central America and Mexico (do they drink root beer in Canada??). But....lucky for us we heard of a place that serves it! It's called Hamburgueses de Rusty. This is the only place we know of in Quito with root beer. The owner, Rusty, is a California native and we are grateful he understands the joyful concept of rootbeer (and also dill pickles on hamburgers). They make it homemade and it is quite tasty!

Rusy is an awesome guy. He's 70 years old and he's still working there, taking orders. And he's got a sweet handlebar mustache! I wish I had taken a picture of him. His stache is so cool that the whole restaurant is decked out with his handlebar mustache logo, including the table, lights, and glass!

We'll definitly be making several return trips to Rusty's!

8 comments:

Andrea said...

I'm so glad you found Root Beer in Quito! Sounds like a cool place to eat, too.

Anonymous said...

What a cool place (yah, where's the pic of Rusty j/k)!

Glad you got something that reminds you of home. Owen is getting soooo big. He is such a stud.

heather said...

Matt totally wants a handle bar mustache and I really hope he doesn't ever try to have one!

And that is awesome to find a place with root beer!

Danielle said...

Ha, that's funny. Max and I were just talking about root beer today. I was saying I wonder if people in other countries either pretend to like root beer or build up a taste for it so they can seem cool that they like something so American. You know, like how Americans do that about stuff from other countries. Anyway, we love root beer too!

Heather said...

I LOVE homemade root beer!

Valerie said...

Heck yes they drink root beer in Canada (thank goodness)! In fact, you inspired me to go to A&W for lunch tomorrow. Too bad tomorrow isn't NOW.

Amy said...

That is awesome. I love that you guys are finding all the best places to get your American culture hits. And that you're willing to stalk pet turkeys or wild chickens when you can't find what you'd like! haha!

Courtni said...

I'm loving looking at your blog and reliving places I have been -- we talked our mission president into letting us have hamburgers and root beer from Rusty's at some zone conferences. Glad you guys are having such a good time -- I would love to go back.